[TUTORIAL] Native full-disk encryption with ZFS

Bugbear

Dec 29, 2020
Hello there!

I really like the idea of having the full root-filesystem encrypted using native ZFS encryption (only).
However, as I currently couldn't find any complete writeup on on this topic, here's what worked for me (with and without Secureboot on PVE 8.1):

1. Install with zfs (RAID0 for single-disk application)
2. Reboot into ISO > Advanced Options > Graphical, debug mode
3. Exit to bash with `exit` or Ctrl+D
4. Execute following commands:

Bash:
# Encrypt root dataset
zpool import -f rpool                        # Force import the ZFS pool named 'rpool'
zfs snapshot -r rpool/ROOT@copy              # Create a recursive snapshot of 'rpool/ROOT'
zfs send -R rpool/ROOT@copy | zfs receive rpool/copyroot            # Duplicate the snapshot to 'rpool/copyroot'
zfs destroy -r rpool/ROOT                    # Destroy the original 'rpool/ROOT' to replace it with an encrypted version
zfs create -o encryption=on -o keyformat=passphrase rpool/ROOT      # Create a new 'rpool/ROOT' with encryption
zfs send -R rpool/copyroot/pve-1@copy | zfs receive -o encryption=on rpool/ROOT/pve-1    # Restore 'pve-1' from the copy
zfs destroy -r rpool/copyroot                # Clean up by removing the temporary copy
zpool export rpool                           # Export the pool to finalize changes

# Prepare for chroot & destroy rpool/data dataset
zpool import -f -R /mnt rpool                # Import the pool with an alternate root at /mnt
zfs load-key -a                              # Load the encryption keys for all encrypted datasets
zfs destroy -r rpool/data                    # Destroy original dataset as after mounting pve-1 in the next step rpool/data will appear `busy` (see post #4 below)
zfs mount rpool/ROOT/pve-1                   # Mount the 'pve-1' dataset
mount -o rbind /proc /mnt/proc               # Recursively bind the /proc directory to the chroot environment
mount -o rbind /sys /mnt/sys                 # Recursively bind the /sys directory
mount -o rbind /dev /mnt/dev                 # Recursively bind the /dev directory
chroot /mnt /bin/bash                        # Change root into the new environment

# Create encrypt rpool/data dataset
dd if=/dev/urandom bs=32 count=1 of=/.data.key         # Create a new encryption key
chmod 400 /.data.key                                   # Set appropriate permissions for key
chattr +i /.data.key                                   # Make key immutable
zfs create -o encryption=on -o keylocation=file:///.data.key -o keyformat=raw rpool/data     # Create a new dataset with encryption enabled
# Setup systemd service for automatic unlocking of rpool/data on boot
sudo cat > /etc/systemd/system/zfs-load-key.service <<'EOF'
[Unit]
Description=Load encryption keys
DefaultDependencies=no
After=zfs-import.target
Before=zfs-mount.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/zfs load-key -a

[Install]
WantedBy=zfs-mount.service
EOF
systemctl enable zfs-load-key

## Optional! Only needed if stuck at boot with ZFS-encryption enabled (see post #3 below): Update boot configuration
echo "simplefb" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules       # Add 'simplefb' to initramfs modules
update-initramfs -k all -u                            # Update all initramfs images
proxmox-boot-tool refresh                             # Refresh Proxmox boot configuration to apply changes

# Cleanup and reboot
exit
umount /mnt/proc                              # Unmount /proc
umount /mnt/sys                               # Unmount /sys
umount /mnt/dev                               # Unmount /dev (if target is busy, check for nested mounts)
zfs unmount rpool/data                  # Unmount the ZFS dataset
zfs unmount rpool/ROOT/pve-1                  # Unmount the ZFS dataset
zpool export rpool                            # Export the ZFS pool
Ctrl + Alt + Del                              # Use key combination to reboot the system

----
Credits to:
@nschemel https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/encrypting-proxmox-ve-best-methods.88191/#post-387731
@bindi https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/unable-to-unlock-zfs-root-dataset-during-boot.138172/post-616393
@Stoiko Ivanov https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/e...option-system-cannot-boot.104377/#post-450093
@yvesh https://gist.github.com/yvesh/ae77a68414484c8c79da03c4a4f6fd55
@Tommy Tran on PrivSec https://privsec.dev/posts/linux/using-native-zfs-encryption-with-proxmox/

PS: Search engines aren't what they used to be :/ ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin
You forgot to encrypt the "data" dataset. So VMs/LXCs stored on your disk won't be encrypted.

Why is the "simplefb" required? As far as I remember I never did that when encrypting my rpool. I only read about "simplefb" in context of GPU passthrough.

In case you want to be able to unlock it headless I can highly recommend using the dropbear-initramfs SSH server.

Last edited:
Hey @Dunuin , thank you very much for the feedback! Dropbear is truely neat (and easy to set up with PrivSecs guide from above), personally I'll just use an IP-KVM.
Good catch with rpool/data! Totally forgot that ... I just added it to the guide.

As for the simplefb-module I wondered too, however without this solution on boot I get stuck at this screen (like @jwalker in this thread) with SecureBoot disabled:
1000006347.jpg
and stuck at this screen with SecureBoot enabled:
pve.jpg
However, while being stuck at these screens in the console, I can still unlock the zfs dataset with dropbear and then the OS loads perfectly fine (on the console too!).
So it's "just" a graphical issue with this message hanging on boot, fixable with the simplefb-module in the initramfs.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I followed these steps exactly and managed to get ROOT encrypted. Unfortunately, I ran into an error when trying to encrypt rpool/data. I made it as far as "zfs destroy -r rpool/data". This resulted in the error "cannot destroy rpool/data: dataset is busy". Not sure where to go from here.

PVE 8.1 w/ secure boot, x2 nvme zfs raid 1

Hi @dynostatic, I'm sorry for this issue. Please try the "Encrypt rpool/data" section before the "Prepare for chroot" section and thus before importing the pool.

EDIT: I just updated the guide so this workaround won't be needed anymore. Should work flawlessly now.

Last edited:
Thank you @Bugbear for the instructions, I was able to set up a Proxmox host at at my hosting provider.

However, when trying to create a LXC, I am getting this error:

TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 100 - zfs error: cannot create 'rpool/data/subvol-100-disk-0': encryption root's key is not loaded or provided

Do you have a suggestion how to get around this?

Thank you!

Hi @andre78, you need to catch up on the # Setup systemd service for automatic unlocking of rpool/data on boot section for automatic unlocking of rpool/data on boot. Otherwise you'd need to execute `zfs load-key -a` on every reboot.

Last edited:
I'm having issues with the console getting stuck at "Loading initial ramdisk" despite following the boot config update instructions. echo "simplefb" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and update-initramfs -k all -u print nothing when run, but proxmox-boot-tool refresh gives me this output:

Code:
Running hook script 'proxmox-auto-removal'...
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'...
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
System booted in EFI mode but 'grub-efi-amd64' meta-package not installed!
Install 'grub-efi-amd64' to get updates.

Update: figured it out. I forgot to do the chroot again after reboot and as such, none of the changes I wrote about above were actually being applied to my system.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!