[SOLVED] Efi sub loaded initrd from command line option - system cannot boot

Proxomx

Nov 25, 2021
Dear Community,

I made a simple mistake (thought I was writing in a container as root but it turned out it was proxmox host) and typed
Code:
 apt update && apt-dist upgrade
with
Code:
 apt autoremove

Right now after host reboot I am not able to boot, I get error ->
Code:
 efi stub loaded initrd from command line option

System is encrypted ZFS, installed on Nvme . Then my HDD storage is luks encrypted.

I am only able to boot into Debug mode from Proxmox ISO.

Current pve kernel is 5.13.19-1. and this is the only one available ( I checked with proxmox-boot-tool kernel list ).

When typed
Code:
 ls /boot/
there is missing file initrd.img-5.13.19-1-pve, the rest of flies (4) are there (system.map, config, vmlinuz, grub). I recreated initrd.img with command ->

Code:
 update-initramfs -c -k 5.13.19-1-pve

When I try command
Code:
 proxmox-boot-tool status
I get an error /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids doest not exist.

Trying to mount and init nvme ->
Code:
 proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/nvme0n1p3
but I get E: '/dev/nvme0n1p3" has wrong partition type (same error for my other disc).

Command
Code:
 efibootmgr
says EFI variables are not supported.

When I check
Code:
 ls /boot/grub/
I have only file unicode.pf2, the grub.conf is missing. So naturally update-grub gets failed to get canonical path of 'none'. I only have file /etc/default/grub.conf

Another command
Code:
 bootctl status
gives Couldn't find EFI system.... Not booted with EFI.

I tried to to reconfigure kernel ->
Code:
 dpkg-reconfigure pve-kernel-5.13.19-1-pve
and got message debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog,............... Then package "pve-kernel-5.13.19-1-pve" is not installed and no information.

Would really appreciate any help / ideas how to solve this problem... How can I install fresh kernel through Debug Mode? What are my other options? This is disaster... :mad::eek:

Right now after host reboot I am not able to boot, I get error ->
Frist thing I would try is to boot the system without ISO - and in the boot-manager (either grub or systemd-boot - see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot_determine_bootloader_used) - edit the kernel commandline and remove the 'quiet'
Maybe this shows some messages which might show where the problem is.

Current pve kernel is 5.13.19-1. and this is the only one available ( I checked with proxmox-boot-tool kernel list ).
did you chroot into your actual system? - It sound a bit like you're running all those commands on the PVE-ISO environment and not the acutal system

check out the section on reparing a grub installation on the change wikipage:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_S...iring_a_System_Stuck_in_the_GRUB_Rescue_Shell
(it contains the necessary commands for chrooting )

I hope this helps - else if possible share the logs (as screenshots if you cannot get them as text) - maybe we'll find a solution

Reactions: Proxomx
@Stoiko Ivanov First of all thank you very much for response, much appreciated!! Honestly on Sunday morning I decided to recreated whole Proxmox host.
I couldn't find anything else to solve my problem - I stumbled upon 1st link you sent and saw also somewhere post about 'quiet' but I don't know why I didn't follow through...
2nd link I didn't see - thank you for pinpointing to it, hopefully someone else with similar problem stumbled upon here and it helps them in future :)

But since we are discussing - on the new Proxmox host I installed new kernel 5.15 but still get
Code:
 efi stub loaded initrd from command line option
when rebooting. But this time I can SSH into host (or type my password on boot screen) and everything follow as normal. Perhaps you know how should I remove this splash screen with Efi.... ?

But since we are discussing - on the new Proxmox host I installed new kernel 5.15 but still get
IIRC this message is normal and harmless - or do you mean that you don't see anything else after this message?

If this is the case please post:
* `cat /etc/kernel/cmdline`
* `cat /proc/cmdline`
* `proxmox-boot-tool status`
* `dmesg`

@Stoiko Ivanov That's exactly the problem - nothing follows after this message, it's stuck there :(

cat /etc/kernel/cmdline
Code:
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfsroot@alexpiesel
cat /proc/cmdline
Code:
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.15.17-1-pve\initrd.img-5.15.17-1-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs
proxmox-boot-tool status
Code:
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
04F3-AFD9 is configured with: uefi (versions: 5.13.19-1-pve, 5.13.19-4-pve, 5.15.17-1-pve)

And log file dmesg is in attachment :)

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    150 KB · Views: 5
kernel cmdline looks ok - as does the proxmox-boot-tool output (I expect that you have a single disk in this system)?

* you're sitting in front of a screen attached to the PVE node ?
* no special pci-passthrough configuration - or anything else which is not standard?

* does the issue persist if you try booting another (older) kernel? Just select the old one in the boot-menu

On a hunch - could you also try the following?:
* add 'simplefb' in a line of its own to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
* run `update-intramfs -k all -u`
* run`proxmox-boot-tool refres`
* reboot

In case this renders the system unbootable - you'd need to use the ISO as described in the wiki-page to chroot into your system undo the chane and run `update-initramfs -k all -u` and `proxmox-boot-tool refresh`

Last edited:
Reactions: uer and Proxomx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!