My Windows machines fail to boot

seyed

Mar 11, 2023
Hey folks,
My Windows Virtual machines fail to boot; the time of failure appears to be random; but it is consistent across Windows distros (2019 - 10 - 2012). Currently I'm trying to troubleshoot a Windows server 2019 instance. The error that I'm encountering across the different distros is as follows:

‌Booting from DVD/CD.....
Boot failed: Could not read from CDROM (code 0003)
Booting from Hard disk.....
A disk read error occured....
Press Ctrl+ALt+Del to restart

At this point pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del is use less. Any help for debugging this issue is much appreciated. Also, I've tried all VIRTIO drivers; I initially spawned the VM with the
Code:
virtio-blk-pci
driver; I also changed the disk to
Code:
hdd
which did not solve the problem.

Hi,
please post the output of pveversion -v and qm config <ID> with the ID of an affected machine. When the failure happens, does it keep failing? Since when did you experience such failures approximately? It's a disk read error, did you already check the health of the underlying physical disks, e.g. smartctl -a /dev/XYZ? Anything in /var/log/syslog around the time the issue occurs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!