Multiple SystemD errors during startup after upgrade from PVE 3.4

acidrop

Renowned Member
Jul 17, 2012
Hello list,

I've upgraded a standalone node from PVE 3.4 to 4.1 by following the guide in Wiki (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_3.x_to_4.0).

Everything went smooth until the point that I restarted the node.
During startup I'm getting the following message which is flooding the screen:

Code:
systemd-journald[296]: Failed to forward syslog message: Connection refused

After waiting a long time (the message above still continues to flood the screen), I'm being prompted with the following:

Code:
Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue):

If I press Ctrl+D the boot process continues and finally boots PVE normally.
I can access web gui, start the vms etc.

From webgui -> syslog I get this repetitive entry but I suppose that is due to the watchdog service running:

Code:
Mar 03 00:51:58 proxmox2 systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service: Got notification message from PID 296 (WATCHDOG=1...)
Mar 03 00:51:58 proxmox2 systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service: got WATCHDOG=1
Mar 03 00:52:08 proxmox2 systemd[1]: Got notification message for unit systemd-logind.service
Mar 03 00:52:08 proxmox2 systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Got notification message from PID 2831 (WATCHDOG=1...)
Mar 03 00:52:08 proxmox2 systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: got WATCHDOG=1

Can you please advise what I can do to avoid pressing Ctrl+D during the boot process?
I'm assuming that it must be a startup service which is failing but I'm unable to trace which exactly is that.

I'm attaching the full log if anyone can shed a light would be great.

P.S
Please note that this was a Debian Wheezy machine (with PVE repos).

Thank you,

Attachments

• syslog.txt.zip
    94.2 KB · Views: 3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!