Multiple Hardware RAID

eak819

May 15, 2014
Hello All,

Please bare with me on this, we have a server that we are going to run ProxMox on.

The RAID is configured this way.

Two SSD on 3ware sas 9750-4i in RAID 1. <--- Where ProxMox is installed.

8 1TB HDD on 3ware sas 9750-8i in RAID 10.

I have the ProxMox install running, I don't know how to configure the RAID 10 to function as storage for ProxMox.

I've searched, and to be honest, I need direction.

Thanks,
Ethan

What does fdisk -l display?

Mir,

It says quite a bit. Can't upload a screenshot, but it does show:

Disk /dev/sda: 120 GB <-- I think this is the SSD's in RAID.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4000.0 GB <-- My 8 1TB disks in RAID 10?

Thanks,
Ethan

/dev/sdb is your raid10. From within proxmox add the dev from cluster/storage

Mir,

So like this?

8P477dprMiyAgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The Screen shot isn't coming up... I went in to data center and added it as a directory.

Mir,

So like this?

The Screen shot isn't coming up... I went in to data center and added it as a directory.

Hi,
you can choose, if you want to use an filesystem on the raid - than you can use it for images, templates,iso,backups,openvz or you use the storage as lvm-storage (without filesystem) than for images only, but a little bit faster...

See in the wiki http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

Udo

Hi,
you can choose, if you want to use an filesystem on the raid - than you can use it for images, templates,iso,backups,openvz or you use the storage as lvm-storage (without filesystem) than for images only, but a little bit faster...

See in the wiki http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

Udo

Udo,

This is a stupid question, but do I have to format the Hard drives or has ProxMox already done that for me?

Thanks,
Ethan

Hi Ethan,
no pve don't format storage or create volume-groups... this must be done by you (how should pve know which filesystem do you need (ext3/4,xfs)).

Depends on your confing you also need the entry in /etc/fstab.

udo

Hi Ethan,
no pve don't format storage or create volume-groups... this must be done by you (how should pve know which filesystem do you need (ext3/4,xfs)).

Depends on your confing you also need the entry in /etc/fstab.

udo

Okay,

Thank you guys alot. Based on our conversation, I need to reformat and create Volumes in my RAID and then run fdisk -l to find and add them to the cluster as needed.

Okay,

Thank you guys alot. Based on our conversation, I need to reformat and create Volumes in my RAID and then run fdisk -l to find and add them to the cluster as needed.

Hi Ethan,
cluster?? If you use an "normal" filesystem the storage is accessible on one node only (and not marked as shared - because only visible for one node).

Udo

Hi Ethan,
cluster?? If you use an "normal" filesystem the storage is accessible on one node only (and not marked as shared - because only visible for one node).

Udo

Sorry, yeah that's what I meant.

Thanks,
Ethan

Thanks Marco! I found a tutorial on fdisk and partitioned the drive with it. I'm a little confused about LVM, I have 8 windows machines that I was going to use virtIO as it is defined as a best practice https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_7_guest_best_practices. Should I use EXT3 file system or would it be better to use LVM?

Hi,
lvm isn't an filesystem - it's an system to handle logical volumes which looks for the os like an normal blockdevice.

ext3/ext4 - if your raidvolume is not small, I would use ext4.

Udo

Hi,
lvm isn't an filesystem - it's an system to handle logical volumes which looks for the os like an normal blockdevice.

ext3/ext4 - if your raidvolume is not small, I would use ext4.

Udo

Thanks! I've created the Partitions, however they don't show as "active" and I can't seem to use them.

Thanks,
Ethan

Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. I just don't know what. I've used fdisk to create /dev/sdb1 @ +1000G. Used Parted to format it to ext4, then made the mount directory with mkdir -p /mnt/storage/images. Added that to fstab like so /mnt/storage/images /dev/sdb1 ext4 default 0 0. When I run mount -a I get "mount: /mnt/storage/images is not a block device"

Thanks for all your help on this.

Ethan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!