Moving from HYPER-V to Proxmox

Alternativende

Renowned Member
Aug 27, 2015
Hey there,

currently im moving my Virtual Machines from Hyper-V to Proxmox. We have only 3 machines running, but well they are quite important for us.

So i have an "old" server which i can use as a transition zone, installed Proxmox 4 on it and i have already migrated the first VM on it. It runs quite well right now.

The thing i don´t now yet is, when i have migrated all VM´s to the transition server and im installing the Hyper-V with Proxmox, how do i get them from the transit to the new one?

I haven´t found anything in the wiki about, migrating from Proxmox to Proxmox. I don´t wanna build a cluster, because i will need the transition server somewhere else afterwards.

So how do i do this?

Thanks!

You have to choices:
1) Backup on the transition server and import the backups on your new server
2) Temporarily create a cluster
2a) If VM's are on shared storage you can simply do an online migration from the old to the new server.
or
2b) If VM's are on local storage you can do an offline migration (copies disk(s) from on node to the other)
2c) delete old server from cluster

You can migrate with an external HDD, scp or make the backup on a NFS server.
the backup files are local located in /var/lib/vz/dump/
this is also the place where you must put it on the target server.
but the upload on the target server can be done over the gui.

Hey there,

currently im moving my Virtual Machines from Hyper-V to Proxmox. We have only 3 machines running, but well they are quite important for us.

So i have an "old" server which i can use as a transition zone, installed Proxmox 4 on it and i have already migrated the first VM on it. It runs quite well right now.

The thing i don´t now yet is, when i have migrated all VM´s to the transition server and im installing the Hyper-V with Proxmox, how do i get them from the transit to the new one?

I haven´t found anything in the wiki about, migrating from Proxmox to Proxmox. I don´t wanna build a cluster, because i will need the transition server somewhere else afterwards.

So how do i do this?

Thanks!
Hi,
if you have an nfs-server with enough space, you can also define this as storage on your transition server and migrate the VMs to this storage.

Then you must define this storage on the new server too (same name), and you can move the VMs with an short downtime:

1. shut down VM on transition-server
2. copy VM-config to the new server ("scp /etc/pve/qemu-server/XXX.conf newhost:/etc/pve/qemu-server/ ")
3. start the VM on the new server - and don't start on tho old again!! and also don't delete on the old server with the gui (will destroy your VM-hdd on nfs storage).

After this you can move the VM-hdds to other storage.

Udo

Hey there,

thanks for the responses. Im actually done with it now.

First thing i have done, i have copied the .VHD´s to the transition server, converted them, created new hard disks and powered them on. After that i have copied the 10X.conf files to the new server, as well as the .qcow2 images.

After that was done i could easily power on all machines, and everything went fine.

Hey there,

So how do i do this?

Thanks!

Hi, could you point me How you did the migration form Hyper-V to Proxmox?

Hey there,

So how do i do this?

Thanks!
hello,
why you are considering to migrate from hyper-v to proxmox?
any unsatisfied with hyper-v?

Hi

We've just done migration from HyperV to Proxmox and loving it. :)

Easier for our staff to manage as they do not need to RDP into servers and manage VMs or use SCVMM which seems to confusing for some.
Proxmox interface is easier to teach and train new staff on aswell as features is all we require for web hosting servers.

Here is what we did.

We used Export feature by right clicking VMs in HyperV and exporting to shared storage.
Then ftp'd them using "Binary" not ascii to transfer them from Shared Storage to Proxmox /var/lb/vz/images folder.

Note we created identical specs of VMs using qcow2 onto Proxmox same way as per HyperV. Do not use "raw" as when you do backups it will be offline in that process hence I choice of using qcow2 so no downtime.

Then we just converted the vhdx or vhd files to qcow2 format overwritting the empty ones created by proxmox when created the VM.

We used IDE on some where they did not want to start instead of Virtio. This can probably be fixed by adding Virtio drivers onto the VM if you wanted. Performance would be better if you did. For our DNS servers we left this for next weekend :)

We also disabled RDP now to make servers more secure.

Quit easy after you do the first one :)

Wish you luck. So glad ours are done.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!