Move storage with CT without restore backup

Paulina Stopa

Renowned Member
Jan 31, 2013
Hi,

I'm planning to replace hardware of my Proxmox node. Currently multiple Containers with total of few TB are located on 2x 6TB HDD with ZFS storage called just "local4".
I know that safest way will be create full Container Backup, shutdown node, move my disk to new machine and then restore backup, but this will take many hours of downtime, so here I am with some questions:

What Steps will be required to move full storage and CT configs from old machine to new one (with fresh Proxmox installation)? So far I think it should be enough for:

1. Make config copy
Make a copy of /etc/pve/lxc directory and /etc/pve/storage.cfg file.

2. Shutdown old machine
Stop all containers, VMs and safely shutdown old Machine

3. Move my disk
Now it's time to move physical HDDs between old and new machine, then power it up

4. Import zpool and configs
Restoring /etc/pve/lxc directory and /etc/pve/storage.cfg file content.

Regarding to https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbchy/index.html
Simply # zpool import should do the job with ZFS import. My Storage should appear in PVE. I'm not sure though if it discovery full mirror-0? Or just broken ZFS pool and will ask me to rebuild RAID?

5. Sanity reboot
Reboot new machine to make sure that all services will be reloaded and all configs read.

6, Start all CT
If everything will works as planned - just start all CT and all my services should be ready to go! All process should take around 15 mins.

Did I miss something?
Before I will start playing with it - very important question. Did anyone tried it already? Did I miss something? There is chance it will work?

should work, provided you don't have a zpool with the same name on the new machine already, recreated/adapted the network settings, ...

Reactions: Paulina Stopa

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!