[SOLVED] Move boot partition ZFS USB

Update
I got this working. I re-installed to 2 x drives connected to the onboard controller and re-did the procedure to create the bootable USB drive. I then detached the drives and the system had an entry for proxmox in the boot menu this time. I reattached the original drives and had to do a zpool import rpool. Just to be sure I went over the usb creation again just to be sure its UUID got added to /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids

Maybe not the prettiest solution but I up and running and survived an initial upgrade.

Hope this helps someone else

Hi all,
I'm in a similar position. I installed pve onto 2 x SSDs on and add-in PCIe SATA adapter. The installer see the drives and installs in ZFS RAID 1 but my system is unable to boot from the PCI card.

I'm trying to boot from a usb stick as in the procedure above but the system just boots into what looks like a black grub splash screen that says, "Reboot into Firmware Inerface" and reboots in 10s

I'm unable to boot the system using Rescue mode. I get:

Code:
error: nosuch device: rpool
ERROR: unable to find boot disk automatically

If I then try to create a bootable USB I boot in debug mode until the installer runs to disk selection at which point I Alt+Ctr+ F3 and drop to a terminal

I'm able to partition my USB drive correctly, mount rpool and:
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /run /mnt/run
chroot /mnt
works fine.

proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdX2 --force works fine but proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdd2 finishes with output:

Code:
Failed to create EFI Boot variable entry: No such file or directory

Can anyone help please? I'm a bit stuck what to try next.

Many thanks

NTB
You need to mount efivars:
Code:
mount —bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/sys/firmware/efi/efivars

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!