Mounting Backup Snapshot with LVM

dthompson

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
www.digitaltransitions.ca
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how to mount a backup snapshot of a server with multiple LVM drives.

A snapshot currently looks like this:
│ vm/119/2021-05-20T12:41:21Z │ 8.03 TiB │ client.log drive-virtio0.img drive-virtio1.img drive-virtio2.img index.json qemu-server.conf

Mounting it, might be something like this:
proxmox-backup-client map vm/119/2021-05-20T12:41:21Z drive-virtio0.img --repository root@pam@10.10.10.115:pbs-Backup --keyfile /etc/pve/priv/storage/pbs-backup.enc

This would mount the boot volumes into /dev/loop0

My question that I'm not too sure on how to do is how do I mount the 2 others disk (virtio1 and virtio2) that are an LVM and mount them on the server to browse? Is this even possible to do? I cannot seem to figure out how to do this.

Thank you,

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how to mount a backup snapshot of a server with multiple LVM drives.

A snapshot currently looks like this:
│ vm/119/2021-05-20T12:41:21Z │ 8.03 TiB │ client.log drive-virtio0.img drive-virtio1.img drive-virtio2.img index.json qemu-server.conf

Mounting it, might be something like this:
proxmox-backup-client map vm/119/2021-05-20T12:41:21Z drive-virtio0.img --repository root@pam@10.10.10.115:pbs-Backup --keyfile /etc/pve/priv/storage/pbs-backup.enc

This would mount the boot volumes into /dev/loop0

My question that I'm not too sure on how to do is how do I mount the 2 others disk (virtio1 and virtio2) that are an LVM and mount them on the server to browse? Is this even possible to do? I cannot seem to figure out how to do this.

Thank you,
It sure is, just do one map for each disk, they will become virtio0 -> loop0, virtio1 -> loop1 etc. LVM is a little extra trouble, you can do a vgscan to see them after mapping them, and most likely you need a vgchange to activate the LVMs before you can mount them

Look into the HowTo, it should work with LVM...
I've tried this and tried to get it to mount my LVM and it doesn't appear that it can be done. I'm going to go over it again, but while I can see the disks and the LVMs, I am unable to mount the drives on the system.
I'll try again today and post the error output.

However the solution seems slick and if that were to ever be incorporated into the GUI, it would be a game changer in my opinion for people that use it and would simplify the process of data restore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!