Misleading errors IMHO from failed backup.

wingo

May 16, 2023
I was having several failures backing up containers, that looked like this:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 101 --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --remove 0 --storage DS220jBackup --node pve0 --mode suspend --compress zstd INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (lxc) INFO: Backup started at 2023-08-12 16:47:23 INFO: status = running INFO: backup mode: suspend INFO: ionice priority: 7 INFO: CT Name: smtp INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup INFO: temporary directory is on NFS, disabling xattr and acl support, consider configuring a local tmpdir via /etc/vzdump.conf INFO: starting first sync /proc/411448/root/ to /mnt/pve/DS220jBackup/dump/vzdump-lxc-101-2023_08_12-16_47_23.tmp INFO: first sync finished - transferred 690.55M bytes in 162s INFO: suspending guest INFO: starting final sync /proc/411448/root/ to /mnt/pve/DS220jBackup/dump/vzdump-lxc-101-2023_08_12-16_47_23.tmp INFO: final sync finished - transferred 0 bytes in 7s INFO: resuming guest INFO: guest is online again after 7 seconds INFO: creating vzdump archive '/mnt/pve/DS220jBackup/dump/vzdump-lxc-101-2023_08_12-16_47_23.tar.zst' INFO: tar: ./var/spool/postfix/deferred: Cannot open: Permission denied INFO: tar: ./var/spool/postfix/flush: Cannot open: Permission denied INFO: tar: ./var/spool/postfix/public: Cannot open: Permission denied INFO: tar: ./var/spool/postfix/saved: Cannot open: Permission denied

The destination of the backup is an NFS-mounted Synology NAS. It looks to me like tar failed to read some of the source files.
But when I changed the vzdump config to put tmp files on local instead of the NAS, all backups worked. Does anyone have
any idea why this error message is so misleading? Thank goodness for the forum where someone had some other problem
that was solved by moving where temp files go. I would never have thought that was the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!