migration from iSCSI single to iSCSI multipath

GodZone

After a recent SAN issue, it has been recommended that our cluster should be using multipath. In preparation, I installed the various software modules using apt-get but didn't realise that the installation would start the services. I have shutdown and disabled them but now seem to be stuck. All the VM disks are visible on two disks. I can't migrate or backup anything.

I am prepared to shutdown all of the VMs on a node and reboot it to try to get back to the system seeing only the single iSCSI mount but if that is successful, how do I move to multipath in a live cluster ? All the documentation seems to relate to installing multipath storage as part of the initial build.

I am still running 5.0-30, upgrading to 6 is scheduled to occur shortly but currently I cant migrate any VMs between hosts to allow me to do the upgrade. Presenting the LUN via two paths hasnt yet happened as it involves adding to the network configuration, which typically requires a reboot of each node.

Any assistance would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

its a relatively simple matter of
1. bring up your second interface.
2. install and configure mpio.
3. edit your iscsi targets and replace the disks with their mpio counterpart.
3. filter out /dev/sd* from lvm.conf
4. reboot. cluster should remain unaffected as the actual lvm is the same.

I assume you got as far as step 2. this tutorial may be of help: https://elkano.org/blog/set-up-multipath-iscsi-targets-on-debian/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!