Migrating from VMWare to Proxmox VE Problems?

Mrdude

Apr 13, 2010
USA
Hi ive looked through the forums and cant seem to find my problem that i am having (if there is a thread that is already out there please point me in that direction). :confused:

First ill give the info on my hardware.

3Ware 9650SE (8x1TB = 3.46Tb Raid 10)
SuperMicro Server Board
8.00GB Ram
2x 3.00ghz Xeon QuadCore Processors

The Problem:
As you can see i have a 3.46TB Raid, And Proxmox can only be installed on less then 2TB.
that was my first Dilemma i figured that out by:

Code:
pvcreate /dev/sdb
vgdisplay     # look for Free PE
vgextend pve /dev/sdb
vgdisplay    # look already for Free PE
# give /dev/pve/data 1200G more space - or more
lvextend -L +1200G /dev/pve/data        # Attention, 1200G is an example, leave min. 6 GB free, or you get in trouble with your backup
lvdisplay and vgdisplay # to be sure
resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-data

The above Code is not mine i mearly copied and pasted for the ease of it.

And that worked like a charm.
Until:mad:
I tried moving from my VMWare to Proxmox using these steps:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29

I added these images so you could see the choices When creating a new VM:
Sorage..jpg

This is with the drive i installed proxmox onto:
Local..jpg

This is With the 3.46TB Raid as the save location (as you can see i can only create a Raw Image format) :
VM-Host..jpg

What i would like to do is have an 80GB drive as the system drive, and have the 3.46TB drive as the storing VM's, Iso images.
And be able migrate from VMWare over to the Raid.
Which i cant currently do (to my knowledge)

Please Feel free to ask me any questions i am hoping to get this resolved as soon as possible with your help and i will try and respond as soon as possible.:)

the problem is that you have now vmware with disk files (*.vmdk) and you configured your Proxmox VE to use LVM (block device). but the code you showed explains a howto extend the data volume group which is mounted on /var/lib/vz (default local storage) - so for me its not clear why the screenshot shows a LVM storage type?

Ok Thanks Tom,
I wonder if I did the code wrong? (i'm a bit new to this so its fairly possible:confused:)
how would i go about deleting the LVM? i tried going through the web and deleting it but comes up with error:
Error..PNG

Thanks for the quick Response,

Hi,
you can try it from the console to see which error occur.
Code:
lvremove --help
is your friend. But be sure that you backup all your data from the logical volume!
If you successfully remove your lv, you can delete it from /etc/pve/storage.cfg.

Udo

Thanks,
Udo, And Tom

What i ended up doing was reformatting my raid and then reinstalling proxmox and using the code that i had posted earlier. and the code worked fine, it extended the size of my volume.
the only problem now is that when i create a VM i need to have a .vmdk image file format. and it all goes fine but when i go to restart the machine the webpage just refreshes and says vm stopped.

Thanks,
Stephen

Thanks,
Udo, And Tom

What i ended up doing was reformatting my raid and then reinstalling proxmox and using the code that i had posted earlier. and the code worked fine, it extended the size of my volume.
the only problem now is that when i create a VM i need to have a .vmdk image file format. and it all goes fine but when i go to restart the machine the webpage just refreshes and says vm stopped.

Thanks,
Stephen
Hi Stephen,
do you get any info when you start the VM from the console?
E.g.
Code:
qm start 117
I think your boot-device is not correct. Select the right one below Option.

Udo

Thanks udo,

wheni start the vm from console the output is this:

backup:~# qm start 103
device vmtable103i0 entered promiscuous mode
type=1700 audit(1271425182.617:38) dev=vmtable103i0 prom=256 old_prom=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4292967295
vmbr0: topology change detected, propagating
vmbr0: port 3(vmtable103i0) entering forwarding state
qemu: could not open disk image /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk
start failed: command '/usr/bin/KVM -monitor unix:/var/run/qemu-server/103.mon ,server ,nowait -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/103 . Vnc ,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/103.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name Test3 -smp 1 -boot dc -vga cirrus -tdf -localtime -rtc-td-hack -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk ,if=ide ,index=0,boot=on -drive file=/dev/cdrom,if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom -m 512 -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=vmtable103i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan -net nic,vlan=0,model=rtl8139,macaddr=ba:e2:a4:83:b4:42 -id 103 -c puunits 1000' failed with exit code 1
backup:~# vmbr0: port 3(vmtable103i0) entering disableD state
vmbr0: port 3(vmtable103i0) entering disable state

I also went user options and from what I can see it all looks corrrect.

Thanks,
Stephen

Thanks udo,

wheni start the vm from console the output is this:

backup:~# qm start 103
device vmtable103i0 entered promiscuous mode
type=1700 audit(1271425182.617:38) dev=vmtable103i0 prom=256 old_prom=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4292967295
qemu: could not open disk image /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk

Hi,
why kvm can't open the disk-file? What is the output of
Code:
ls -lsa /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk
or
Code:
ls -lsa /var/lib/vz/images/103/

Udo

Ok I put the code:
ls -lsa /var/lib/vz/images/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk
output:
24 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4259840 apr 15 17:06 /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk

thanks,
Stephen

Ok I put the code:

output:
24 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4259840 apr 15 17:06 /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk

thanks,
Stephen
Hi,
why is your vmdk-file only 4MB large? I know only the vmdk-files from esx-server (vsphere), which are rawfiles.
Code:
file test_e-flat.vmdk
test_e-flat.vmdk: x86 boot sector, Microsoft Windows XP MBR, Serial 0x82d6e847; partition 1: ID=0x7, starthead 1, startsector 63, 31439142 sectors
What shows file in your case? Why you use vmdk instead of raw?

Udo

When I do:
file /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk

output:
/var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk : VMware4 disk image

is that what you wanted?

The reason I am using .vmdk is I am migrating over from vmware workstation and the migration proccess guide that I read said to do vdmk image format.

Thanks,
Stephen

When I do:
file /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk

output:
/var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk : VMware4 disk image

is that what you wanted?

The reason I am using .vmdk is I am migrating over from vmware workstation and the migration proccess guide that I read said to do vdmk image format.

Thanks,
Stephen
Hi Stephen,
i don't know if proxmox support the compressed vmdk-format. Perhaps Dietmar or Tom can write something about that.

Udo

Thanks Udo for your help,
dietmar,

this is the output from qemu-img:

virtual size: 32G (34359738368)
disk size: 24k

OK, is seems to be readable by qemu-img. So you can try to convert it to 'raw' or 'qcow2' (using qemu-img)

Ok, Thanks dietmar,

I dont know if i should start a new thread for this But its still under the same context.

i was looking at the Vmware to Proxmox migrate guide:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29

And after reading through a couple more times i saw that the .vmdk files would be converted to .qcow2
so i thought to myself why do .vmdk files...
so i think i fixed that problem With your help dietmar,

now i follow the steps in the guide:

i follow all the steps to the TEE. but when i boot up from the VM i get this:
View attachment 231:confused:

Any ideas??

Ok, Thanks dietmar,

I dont know if i should start a new thread for this But its still under the same context.

i was looking at the Vmware to Proxmox migrate guide:

And after reading through a couple more times i saw that the .vmdk files would be converted to .qcow2
so i thought to myself why do .vmdk files...
so i think i fixed that problem With your help dietmar,

now i follow the steps in the guide:

i follow all the steps to the TEE. but when i boot up from the VM i get this:
View attachment 231:confused:

Any ideas??
Hi,
your attachment are lost...
but about qcow2: you can convert to raw, if you use the switch "-O raw" with qemu-img.

Udo

Thanks, udo
sorry for the dumb question (I'm new at this) but what's the major difference of .raw and .qcow2?

The attached image was of the VM booting up (after converting the .vmdk to qcow2.
What I basically said was:
it recognized the converted hdd
"cannot boot operating system"
and that's where it stops.

Thanks again,
udo

Thanks, udo
sorry for the dumb question (I'm new at this) but what's the major difference of .raw and .qcow2?
raw is no format - it's an image of a harddisk, with bootsectors and partitiontable. With the right OS, you can copy a diskimage.raw directly to a harddisk (mostly done with dd) and boot from this harddisk - or vice versa.
The attached image was of the VM booting up (after converting the .vmdk to qcow2.
What I basically said was:
it recognized the converted hdd
"cannot boot operating system"
and that's where it stops.

Thanks again,
udo
I can't see an attached screenshot. But the booting fails mainly on windows because of wrong driver (or MBR).
Normaly with WinXP you must boot the Install-CD, and after that Windows found the installation, try to repair with "R".
But i had short time ago one XP-Installation, where this don't work...

Udo

ok so i tried what you said udo,
I can't see an attached screenshot. But the booting fails mainly on windows because of wrong driver (or MBR).
Normaly with WinXP you must boot the Install-CD, and after that Windows found the installation, try to repair with "R".
But i had short time ago one XP-Installation, where this don't work...
i tried the XP Pro install cd on mine and it looked like it repaired it but it was a no go ... :( (I Also tried converting to .raw but the same thing happened)

i then figured i will just install a fresh XP on that VM so i booted from the cd did the install and:

Code:
Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

The drive cannot find the sector requested
So im Wondering Could something not have converted right?:confused:

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!