Migrate Windows from Hyper-V to PVE

PawelGrzeda

Sep 4, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to migrate Windows Server 2016 from Hyper-V to Proxmox. I copy the vhdx disk file, convert it to qcow2/raw but when I try to boot it doesn't work. Guest can't find bootable hard disk. When I boot Win2k16 DVD and add virtio scsi driver I can see expected Windows partition scheme. Also the qemu-img test gives no errors. I guess that at first I need to prepare the guest Windows when still running on Hyper-V. How to do this? Is there way to add virtio drivers there?

>> I guess that at first I need to prepare the guest Windows when still running on Hyper-V. How to do this? Is there way to add virtio drivers there?

Best way is to boot with ide controller, add an temporary extradisk (like 1GB) with virtio, add the driver in windows device manager , then remove extra disk, and change main disk from ide to virtio.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!