[SOLVED] Migrate CEPH public_network online

May 19, 2021
Hi,

we are in the following productive situation

5 x PVE CEPH Storage with 2x1GE NIC and 1 x dual 10GE NIC (LACP) for the CEPH public network
5 x PVE Compute Nodes with 2x1GE NIC and 2 x dual 10GE NIC (LACP), one is for the CEPH public network
2 x MLAG/LACP connected 10GE Switches (Lenovo, low latency) running the 10GE (LACP) CEPH public network in a VLAN
1 x Switch (Ubiquity) with 1GE for CoroSync and Management

New to this setup is now

- 2 x MLAG/LACP connected 40GE Mellanox Switches (low latency)
- 10 x Mellanox 40GE Dual Port NIC, one for each node
- each NIC has an IP in a separate subnet, each node can reach all the other nodes (CEPH and Compute)

after this condensed buzzword bingo ...

What i would like to achieve in Step 1 is : to migrate the public_network from 10GE to 40GE with no downtime in 2 steps

- Migrate the CEPH Storage nodes from the 10GE VLAN onto the new 40GE network, Node by Node
- if all works well, migrate all the compute nodes from their 10GE NIC to the new 40GE NIC with no downtime (should be easy, since i can free up each Compute node and reboot)

Alternatively i would be happy run the public_network on both 10GE and 40GE Switches with priority to the 40GE Switch or create a cluster_network on the 10GE VLAN later if the cluster grows.

So my questions:
- is it possible to migrate the CEPH Nodes from the 10GE Switch to the 40GE, node by node and how?
- is it possible to have the public_network running on two networks with different ip subnets (10GE and 40GE) and set priorities, if so how?
- is there any caveats i should consider while migrating?

Thanks and best,

Kai

Last edited:
Old and new subnets are same vlan or different? The main rule is, multiple public_network need to be able to communicate.
You need to reconfigure monitors, so it's important to read documentation (and in some cases, test such migration).

Thanks, right now they are in seperate vlans. routed L3 communication should be sufficient no?

What i understand is, if mon1 will be migrated to the new subnet but can still talk (via TCP) to the other mons, i should be fine?

We managed a successful migration by uplinking the 40GE Switches to the old 10GE Storage VLAN and then moving each host's IP from the 10GE NIC to the 40GE NIC

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!