Message on backup restore: Sum of all thin volume sizes (xxTiB) exceeds...

koval

Dec 19, 2017
Hello!

I'm trying to restore my backup on Proxmox server.

Screenshot_212.png

Size of virtual machine 70 GiB.
Screenshot_213.png
I have 1,73 TiB free for VM's on local-lvm from 3,16 TiB .

My log file told me that:
"Sum of all thin volume sizes (3,58 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pools and the size of whole volume group (3,27 TiB)!"

Can someone explain me this message? Why it's appear If I have still free 1,73 GiB ? Where I am wrong ?

thin lvm is thin provisioned, meaning creating a 100GB disk does not use 100GB (until you write 100GB of data in it) so that you can overprovision it
this warning says that the sum of the virtual sizes of the disks is now bigger than the real size, meaning that you cannot fully allocate all disks at the same time anymore

What does this numbers means?
Avail: 1,73 TiB
Capacity: 3,16 TiB

If I have available 1,73 TiB space and my VM 70 GiB, why does this message appear?
1,73 TiB - 70 GiB = 1 TiB free space.

What does this numbers means?
Avail: 1,73 TiB
Capacity: 3,16 TiB

If I have available 1,73 TiB space and my VM 70 GiB, why does this message appear?
1,73 TiB - 70 GiB = 1 TiB free space.

your storage is 3,16TiB big
but the sum of the maximum size of all disks is 3,56TiB which is what this message tries to tell you:
"Sum of all thin volume sizes (3,58 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pools and the size of whole volume group (3,27 TiB)!"

so lvm thin warns you that if you would write all disks of all vms to their limit, the underlying disk does not have enough space

your storage is 3,16TiB big
but the sum of the maximum size of all disks is 3,56TiB which is what this message tries to tell you:

so lvm thin warns you that if you would write all disks of all vms to their limit, the underlying disk does not have enough space

Avail: 1,73 TiB --- what is this ? What does it mean that I have 1,73 TiB ?

this is the actual free space you have (total storage space - real used space)

How can I check what disk (how much space) do I need if all of my VM's will use 100% of space?
lvs shows data 3,16 TiB. This is my space for VM's.

Do I need to subtract from data space sum of disks space ?

Did you figure out what the problem is or how to fix it? Im having the same error now

Did you figure out what the problem is or how to fix it? Im having the same error now
The problem appear because of lack free space on a disk. You have reserved more disk space than you actually have (this is possible because of LVM technology). That's why you need to extend your LVM pool (add new disk) or delete some unused VM's.

This "Sum of all thin volume sizes" also includes any snapshots you may have on all your VMs.
But both the "available space" and the "volume usage" from Proxmox GUI fail to show you a total of how much space *could* potentially be occupied by these snapshots.
Therefore, you may have the feeling that you have enough available space on your local-lvm, but it's not the case due to snapshots potentially taking a lot of space if tomorrow the content of the VM is drastically changed.

From a shell, use the command "lvs" and compute a total of all elements being located on this particular data volume : that's how the ""Sum of all thin volume sizes" is computed (at least as I understand it). The following will make the computation for you :

lvs --units g --nosuffix --separator \| | cut -d \| -f 4,5 | grep "|data" | cut -f 1 -d \| | awk '{s+=$1} END {print s}'

Hello :)
I have some issues I want to find a way to show sum of all VM's Disk to me
some of my disks are attached as a directory (cuz of snapshot, iso, ... feture)
I need to figure out the exact free disk space (disk size - Total allocated disks)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!