Mariadb lxc perfomance

darkconsul

Sep 1, 2017
Hello!
I have incomprehensible results of mariadb benchmark in proxmox. I tested it with sysbench oltp read only benckmark and got this results:
without virtualization 11195.22 transactions per sec
in kvm with scsi disk 8358.25 transactions per sec
and in lxc 7362.25 transactions per sec

Why lxc have so bad results? I thought lxc should be faster then kvm... Tests was made in same hardware and same my.cnf
What can I do to increase perfomance of mariadb in lxc?

I use proxmox 7.1, mariadb 10.5

Last edited:
What storage are you using? If you for example use ZFS then VMs will use zvols (block devices) and LXCs will use datasets (file systems) and both behave completely different.

What storage are you using? If you for example use ZFS then VMs will use zvols (block devices) and LXCs will use datasets (file systems) and both behave completely different.
Clean proxmox installation from iso on 1 drive using LVM. Both kvm and lxc was created with default params

Clean proxmox installation from iso on 1 drive using LVM. Both kvm and lxc was created with default params
Hi @darkconsul. Did you solve the issue? I'm facing the same problem in a LXC container. MariaDB starts ok but after a while the CPU is getting too high reaching almost 100%.

Hi @darkconsul. Did you solve the issue? I'm facing the same problem in a LXC container. MariaDB starts ok but after a while the CPU is getting too high reaching almost 100%.
I had that too when installing MariaDB on a Debian 11 LXC. Needed to install the previous minor version release of MariaDB in order to get it working.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeAz
I had that too when installing MariaDB on a Debian 11 LXC. Needed to install the previous minor version release of MariaDB in order to get it working.
Thank you for the input. I upgraded to a more recent release of MariaDB (10.9). Just trying it now. Will update this thread with the conclusions to help other people facing the same problem.
Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!