Ehoule

Oct 25, 2018
Hey all,
So I just picked up a server from work with 64Gb of RAM and about 8 SAS drives that total about 1TB of storage space. I RAIDed them and decided to install Proxmox to run my VMs.
I wanted to start by creating a windows 12 server VM that I can use as a DC but I've ran into some issues.
At first, I couldn't even start the machine. It would only boot when I went into the options and unchecked the kvm virtualization option.
After that the machine would start BUT the machine is EXTREMELY slow. It look 6 hours to install the OS onto it. When it finally did finish my clicks were delayed by about 30 seconds and it's nearly impossible to work in. Even when I crank up the hardware it just runs very slowly.

I'm new to Proxmox and maybe I'm missing something but this is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Alright so the issue was that my server didn't have virtualization enabled.... Wow I feel dumb.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!