MacBook Pro 2017 - ethernet connection via USB-C Hub

Soggir

Feb 25, 2020
Hi, I am pretty new,
I have a problem connect to my running server on https://10.0.0.30:8006 after installation Proxmox on MacBook Pro 2017. My laptop have only USB-C connectors, so I am using a LMP USB Hub (LMP USB-C mini Dock HDMI 3x USB 3.0, Ethernet, SD/MicroSD) with ethernet connector. This connection "server & ethernet via hub" seems don't work. I think it should work, because when I was trying latest ubuntu on this MacBook this connection works without any other drivers or something else. My questions are: Is there any chance that such an engagement could work or is there other solution ? for example connect via wifi or something else ?

Hi,
do you see the network card in the output of lsusb and in ip link show?

I have a similar issue. Connected a USB-C Gigabit network adapter to my laptop.

lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

ip link show
1: lo
3: wlp2s0
13: tap101i0
14: fwbr101i0

Sorry I had to type in the info above so I haven't copied the entire rows from ip link show but I think it's visible that the ehternet device is not showing up.

UPDATE: After unplugging / reconnecting and waiting for a while the network adapter now shows up in ip link show
56: en00e04xxxxxxxx

I will keep trying..

Last edited:
SOLVED!

I solved the problem using exactly these steps:

1) Run lsusb to see that my network interface is detected (note: this might take a few seconds after you plug in the device)
2) Run ip link show to see that the network interface is present (it's be something like enx………..)
3) Noted the exact name of the network interface to a piece of paper (e.g. enx…….)
4) Edited the the interfaces file using vi /etc/network/interfaces
- replaced the old enx……. interface name by the new enx…….. interface name on two places (interface and brige!)
5) Run /etc/init.d/networking restart

(I actually did also restart my PVE here but I don't think it's necessary, I was able to reproduce the above without restarting)

6) Check that the network is working: ping 192.168.1.1

Possible troubleshooting:

- Run ip address to see whether you can see your bridge (vmbr0) in the list with the static IP address you provided when you installed PVE

Hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!