LXC Gentoo container

xvlvx

Jan 10, 2022
Hi all,

I have a question about the current available LXC container template for Gentoo.
The container is based on the 'init.d' system where I rather want to use 'systemd', also is the container slightly outdated (march-2020).

Is there a build script or method to build a 'fresh' gentoo LXC container?

I tried using the container templates from "lxd.images.canonical.com/images/gentoo/current/amd64/systemd" but I can't discover which one to use, if any! I tried the "rootfs.tar.xz" and created a CT based on it. After inflating it crashes with the message: "can't open '/etc/inittab' - no such file or directory". When peaking into the tar-ball it looks like it isn't a full stage3 tar-ball from Gentoo.

Sadly that is the end of my LXC knowledge, so if anyone could point to a more recent build that would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
lvx

Bump...

Isn't there anyone who could point to LXC Proxmox container template creation guide??? Are a newer gentoo CT template????

After some googling I've found a github repo (https://github.com/globalcitizen/lxc-gentoo) with some creation instructions, but I haven't tried them. Especially due to the lack of a stand alone setup PC.
Also I'm unsure if the output is usable as a proxmox CT template.

Best regards,
lvx

I second this as well. Although I'm happy with the init.d system, emerging anything seems to fail with this LXC.

We need a new one or this one needs to be retired. While I would like to dig in a try myself, I'm just getting started with containers literally today.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had a reply from Proxmox about how to create a more up to date container for Gentoo ?

I can successfully install the most recent gentoo from Jenkins as openrc. Now I am trying to update the profile from openrc to systemd. I will post here the results. It's not the perfect solution if it works.

Last edited:
I submitted a patch to support gentoo systemd and I have been using so far with no problems. Was Gentoo.pl removed?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!