[SOLVED] lxc and 'exclude-path' in /etc/vzdump.conf

ojaksch

Renowned Member
Oct 11, 2015
Germany/Earth
It seems to me that backing up a lxc excludes some paths per default as mentioned, but not explicit called, in [1]. But in my opinion excluding /var/log/* MAY be a bad idea as this excludes everything - although some programs are expecting existing log paths after restoring, apache2 for example (at least in "jessie").
So I tried [3] one after one to override this behaviour in /etc/vzdump.conf by setting "exclude-path" as mentioned in [2] but it won't work as expected. Backup still does it's job but the "stdexcludes" still apply.

Did I miss something here?

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Manual:_vzdump
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VZDump
[3] exclude-path: "/tmp/?*" "/var/tmp/?*" "/var/run/?*"
exclude-path: "/tmp/.+" "/var/tmp/.+" "/var/run/.+pid"
exclude-path: "/tmp/" "/var/tmp/" "/var/run/"

stdexcludes and exclude-path are two separate options. if you set "stdexcludes: 0" in the config file, the default excludes will be disabled. if you set exclude-path(s), paths matching those definitions will be excluded. one does not affect the other.

Reactions: ojaksch
Ah, I see. Great! It is working now. Thank you very much!
Is it correct that the parameter stdexcludes is missing in the default vzdump.conf ? My setup is based on the 4.0 ISO and I haven't this parameter...

BTW: Got'nt a notification about your answer yesterday. No entry in mail logs. Haven't changed my profile since last posts where notification worked...strange.

Yes, I just updated the default vzdump.conf so the next installer ISO should have the two missing parameters.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!