Loss of network connection when trying to install Proxmox on a debian server configured with a vlan aware bridge on a bond

volkanos

Oct 28, 2020
Hi,

We tried to install Proxmox VE 7.1-10 on a bare-metal server running Debian 11 Bullseye on which we configured a VLAN aware bridge with both 10G Ethernet interfaces by replacing the network configuration file with our configuration file. We tried this before and after installing Proxmox and both times we achieve the same result which is a loss of connectivity to the server since both interfaces go into a DOWN status.

We tried to configure this using the GUI and we can't create the bond in an active-backup scheme since it triggers an error even when we switch up the interfaces. The error says that
bond primary interface is not a slave at and then a line in a pm file. I attached a screenshot of the error to this email as well as the configuration file with dummy addresses.

Is there a way to provision the vlan aware bridge which is on a linux bond in an automated manner because we don't really want to configure manually the networking for up to 70 servers ?

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

allow-hotplug enp4s0f0
allow-hotplug enp4s0f1

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
      bond-slaves enp4s0f0 enp4s0f1
      bond-miimon 100
      bond-mode active-backup
      bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

iface bond0.12 inet manual
autovmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr0.502
iface vmbr0.502 inet static
        address  10.0.0.200/24
        gateway  10.0.0.1
        dns-nameservers 10.0.0.1
        dns-search test.com

auto vmbr0.100
iface vmbr0.100 inet static
        address  192.168.0.200/24
        gateway  192.168.0.1

Thanks

Hi,

I just stumbled over your post as I was facing the same error when I tried to configure a active-backup bond. I figured that the issue here was, that you have to add all interfaces under the slaves option. This includes the interface that is supposed to be the primary interface. After doing so, I was able to create the bond and it is working now.

Regards,
Harsesis

Hi,

This configuration works fine:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

allow-hotplug enp4s0f0
allow-hotplug enp4s0f1

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
      bond-slaves enp4s0f0 enp4s0f1
      bond-miimon 100
      bond-mode active-backup

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr0.502
iface vmbr0.502 inet static
        address  10.0.0.200/24
        gateway  10.0.0.1

auto vmbr0.100
iface vmbr0.100 inet static
        address  192.168.0.200/24
        gateway  192.168.0.1

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!