Local-lvm (storage) and VM format

kinetica

May 9, 2014
Hello,
I am testing the new 4.2 Proxmox and I notice that in local-lvm is not possible to choose VM format.
Does this means that from this version is not a choice to create VM's in local storage?
I mean I have created a VM and I see I can not choose VM format, also I notice that the location of the VM created is in /dev/pve and the container is "vm-100-disk-1" without ".raw" or "qcow2" and there aren't the usual folders structure like: "dump" "images" "private" "template".
How I have to read this main change?
thank you

It's just a different type of default storage now using thinly provisioned LVM, which means 'raw' access for qemu. You can still create a directory storage and use qcow2 like you're used to.

Reactions: supotnickiy
Thank you very much for your clear and fast answer!
Basically I have created a folder in /dev/pve/ and after in section Storage --> add "Directory"...... ok I see.
I have created a 20Gbyte VM in the new Local storage, and everything go fine.
Only one thing: I can see from the local storage just created, in the summary page a total size of 10.00 MiB
Is this normal because is thin provisioned storage?
thank you

Just an update:
I am trying to run the 20 Gbyte VM just created (linux Debian) but I am receiving this error:
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc6 -l -p 5900 -w 10 -e '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

Last edited:
The 10 MB is from your /dev directory:

Code:
root@pve4-test ~ > LANG=C df -h /dev
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev

Never create directories inside /dev.

how to reduce lvm-Thin for root because I will not need all the space and lvm or need any more at the root site

lvresize -l result thin pool volumes cannot be reduce in size yet.

Attachments

• resultado lvs.png
    resultado lvs.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 177
root looks like a thick volume, doesn't it? (And please post text, not images). You have to resize your root before using lvresize or you'll break your installation (this requires live linux, because online reduction not supported)

Backup plan if it is a thick volume should be:
  • Boot live linux
  • compress contents of root into data
  • remove data
  • recreate data with smaller size
  • copy data back
  • reboot

I am here again,
sorry for my poor Knowledge of LVM and filesystem but I think I am missing something with new Proxmox 4.2 and thin local-lvm:
In my file system (df -k) I do not have:
--- /dev/mapper/pve-data /var/lib/vz

Yes, because it is not mounted - the o-flag is missing in your lvs output above. Therefore you need your root to store all non-vm-image data.

I think you confuse me with user marcioducrato
In my case there is flag "o"

LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert

data pve twi-aotz-- 582.52g 0.00 0.43
root pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 4.00g

I just installed proxmox 4.2 and I am trying to understand where is located my VM but I can not find it in /var/lib/vz because in my filesystem I can not see /dev/mapper/pve-data -----> /var/lib/vz

Same here, pve-data is not getting mounted with a new install of 4.2. Gonna try a clean install with an older version...

the default storage setup now uses a local dir storage and a local-lvm lvmthin pool instead of the (non-thin) lvm volume used previously.

Then what happens with /dev/mapper/pve-data ?

That's the largest volume and it does not get mounted anywhere.

It shows it's there, but I didn't see where it was being used.

fdisk -l didn't show it
df -h would not show it.
Only had the 16GB swap and 100GB root being used. Leaving me not able to utilize the 3.5TB data.

I ended up doing a clean install with v4.1 then upgrading that to v4.2. pve-data was mounted under /var/lib/vz by v4.1 and is now usable in v4.2.

I'm guessing that the issue is my lack of understanding on lvm thin? Would the VM and CT still use pve-data even though I don't see it as being mounted? I don't think that would work for my usage as I also run an NFS server along with Proxmox to provide NFS shares to some of my VM's and use most of the pve-data storage for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!