loading initial ramdisk hang, after reboot

Thomas@phase

Jan 14, 2017
Belgium
phasehosting.io
I have a full pve envirement running with 3 nodes with block storage ceph for HA with packet (bare metal). The cluster was running great. Today i was working on an overlay network and after every change i rebooted the server (call me lazy). After 5 or 6 reboots the serer hang during boot. Packet has a rescue ssh solution for this, so i could see what the server does during boot, the only thing i saw was:

Loading Linux 4.4.35-1-pve ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

I can acces the grub commandline. I tried several kernel options like "nomodeset", and also booting manually. It looks like the initrd or kernel has a problem and cant boot.

Are there other solutions i can try before deleting the server?

If i acces the /boot folder, the following files are present:

grub/
initrd
vmlinuz
vmlinuz-4.4.35-1-pve
config-4.4.35-1-pve
pve/
System.map-4.4.35-1-pve
initrd.img-4.4.35-1-pve

Where would other kernels be located?
I can't upgrade, because i don't have a valid subscription yet. and updating with a broken kernel is kinda hard :p

I tracked down the issue to a wrong network file.
I have Openvswitch running along with the networking.

A wrong configuration in the /etc/network/interfaces was the problem, this created the hang.

Thnqx for the fast reply

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!