Limit RAM used by ZFS?

qwerty0033

Oct 25, 2020
My 64GB RAM machine with ZFS seems to stabilise at 80% memory usage all the time for the root proxmox host. (Proxmox 6.2.4)

I have several VMs running on top of it, all of them using no more than 20GB of RAM, so I suspect all the RAM usage is by ZFS on the root host.

I've read several posts stating to edit /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf, but I don't see this file in there. Only pve-blacklist.conf and vfio.conf.

What is the best way to limit ZFS RAM use so it doesn't eat up everything? Is it okay to leave things running at 80% all the time? I notice that my server load is quite high at times, up to 10. It is noticeable that some apps on the VMs start behaving inconsistently and sluggishly.

Running a Ryzen 3700X if that helps.

My 64GB RAM machine with ZFS seems to stabilise at 80% memory usage all the time for the root proxmox host. (Proxmox 6.2.4)

I have several VMs running on top of it, all of them using no more than 20GB of RAM, so I suspect all the RAM usage is by ZFS on the root host.

I've read several posts stating to edit /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf, but I don't see this file in there. Only pve-blacklist.conf and vfio.conf.
Create it (as root user)! Then remember the "update-initramfs -u" part

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!