Limit number of backups sent to remote (off-site) backup server

Tmanok

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps I've missed something in the forum or in the manual, but is there a way to reduce or limit the number of backups sent to a remote PBS?
For example, say my on-site backup server had 8TiB and was used for A LOT of backups, but my off-site was say 4TiB usable, could the sync job specify what to pull from the larger PBS instance to the smaller off-site instance?

My workplace does not have this issue, but I am anticipating it in a future personal setup. When I look at what I setup at my work, I don't see any options for this (see attached).
Thank you,

Tmanok

Attachments

• Sync Job (Pull) On-Site to Off-Site.png
    Sync Job (Pull) On-Site to Off-Site.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 5
there will be some more filtering options to limit which groups are synced (based on type, id, or a custom regex). other than that, you can set up more aggressive pruning on the sync target - that won't stop you from transferring lots of data, but reduces the amount stored long-term ;)

Hey Fabian,

Ok I actually quite like that idea! It changes how I perceive the structure a bit too. My original understanding that an off-site server pulling from an on-site server would simply mirror the on-site server and not have to do its own garbage collection. I've since setup garbage collection on the off-site server (which is new I might add), and I've tuned it to be more aggressive than the on-site server.

Although I am a bit concerned about wasting WAN throughput, I'm not concerned about transferring less than a TB a week.

there will be some more filtering options
Meaning it is in the roadmap for future releases? That would be fantastic! I've also considered the thought that there could be a secondary ons-site proxmox backup server that is used as a repository for a different PVE backup schedule, at that point it would be easy to make fewer backups. Then you could choose to only backup the secondary on-site backup server to the off-site backup server. Maybe a bit of wasted disk and an extra VM, but at least your off-site could be much smaller (if that was your goal).

Thanks Fabian!

Tmanok

Meaning it is in the roadmap for future releases? That would be fantastic! I've also considered the thought that there could be a secondary ons-site proxmox backup server that is used as a repository for a different PVE backup schedule, at that point it would be easy to make fewer backups. Then you could choose to only backup the secondary on-site backup server to the off-site backup server. Maybe a bit of wasted disk and an extra VM, but at least your off-site could be much smaller (if that was your goal).
the patches for group filtering have been through two iterations already, I'll send a (hopefully final ;)) version soon.

https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2021-September/049998.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!