Latest upgrade interrupts host networking/open vswitch - PVE 6.3.-3

jsalas424

Jul 5, 2020
To be clear, this was fixed with a reboot so this is just for the sake of documentation.

I have virtualized pfsense and Open vSwitch on the proxmox host for L3 switching of my VMs. After upgrade, proxmox host nor any of my VMs could resolve any DNS requests regardless if they were on a tagged VLAN or not.

Proxmox is on the untagged mgmt VLAN. My laptop which is also on the mgmt VLAN was able to perform hostname resolution of my LAN and was able to route to the internet.

During upgrade of OVS, there was some error about a broken link but I didn't write it down exactly - so if anybody sees it please let us know.

A reboot fixed it all, but I definitely panicked in the meantime.

Last edited:
The PVE node can only access the internet via the pfsense that is running as VM on it? You might want to consider simplifying your setup to avoid any such problems in the future where PVE is basically cutting off the tree branch on which it is sitting on (metaphorically speaking).

The PVE node can only access the internet via the pfsense that is running as VM on it? You might want to consider simplifying your setup to avoid any such problems in the future where PVE is basically cutting off the tree branch on which it is sitting on (metaphorically speaking).
I would love to dedicate some hardware to pfsense! Unfortunately, that's not in the budget currently. It hasn't been an issue at all until this last upgrade luckily.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!