Keyboard does not work during installation

Sander_rijnders

Jan 12, 2017
Dear,

I'm trying to install proxmox on a HP Proliant 360G5.
When I start the installation, I am able to press enter to choose " Install Proxmox VE".
But when i need to accept the "GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE", the keyboard (and the pc mouse) stops working.

I have tried a couple things:
Many ways to make a USB bootable
A different keyboard
Other USB-ports
I tried the bootable USB on a different server

Does someone know a solution for this problem?

Sander

I'm trying to install proxmox on a HP Proliant 360G5.
When I start the installation, I am able to press enter to choose " Install Proxmox VE".
But when i need to accept the "GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE", the keyboard (and the pc mouse) stops working.

I have tried a couple things:
Many ways to make a USB bootable
A different keyboard
Other USB-ports
I tried the bootable USB on a different server

Did it work there?

try to search in BIOS and make ON UEFI support. it help me to make it work at this week.

try to search in BIOS and make ON UEFI support. it help me to make it work at this week.
I'm still not able to enable UEFI support after my bios update.
But I discovered a way to install proxmox.

You need to use an bootable CD.
When you get to the scree where i got stuck, you need to press the button between your Windows key and CTRL on de right site of your keyboard.
I say that the button "I Agree" got selected and I was able to press enter to get to the next screen.
At that point I used TAB and the arrows keys to finish my installation.

I am having this issue right now on a Supermicro X9SCM. The funny thing is the mouse is working, but the cursor is invisible. (whats up with that, are you guys trolling me?) I can move the mouse around randomly click left and right, and it will eventually pop up a menu, this allowed me to guess where the mouse cursor was and eventually click the next button.

The really sad part is that a mouse is even needed at all. Ideally Tab should work to highlight the next button but it does not, even better would be if the next button on the EULA were selected by default so that all i have to do is hit enter.

I am having this issue right now on a Supermicro X9SCM. The funny thing is the mouse is working, but the cursor is invisible. (whats up with that, are you guys trolling me?) I can move the mouse around randomly click left and right, and it will eventually pop up a menu, this allowed me to guess where the mouse cursor was and eventually click the next button.

The really sad part is that a mouse is even needed at all. Ideally Tab should work to highlight the next button but it does not, even better would be if the next button on the EULA were selected by default so that all i have to do is hit enter.
I am having the same exact issue as this guy. Running from a usb using etcher with 6.1 iso

It's an old concept that is not used that much nowadays but press the ALT key an check which characters have an underscore. ALT+<char> will activate that button. :)

Reactions: SamirD and jieiku
I am having the same exact issue as this guy. Running from a usb using etcher with 6.1 iso
Same here, mouse not visible, but can click, just not on the buttons. Also, Tab not working. Right now trying to install proxmox from debian

Having the same problem. Dell R730 UEFI mode. By randomly banging on the keyboard, I was able to get to the next screen, but same problem there. I'm going to try booting to an older version and the upgrade after it's installed.

Update: That worked. Installed 6.0 instead of 6.1 and mouse/keyboard both worked as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
So after messing with Debian install, my collague came up with an idea. Simple soluton, but it worked:

We write the ISO to a DVD. The mouse was still invisible, but we could use the keyboard, and installed successfully.

In retrospective, there was some CDROM checking as i remember, when the installer is booted. Maybe the installer didn't recognise correctly the pendrive, and couldn't load some neccesary keyboard driver.

Configuration:
Dell T130, all of the BIOS, RAID drivers updated, H330 RAID5, UEFI: on

Having the same issue on 6.1 installing on a D720xd UEFI. Keyboard works (I can press alt-tab and ctrl-alt-f1 etc) but I can't press agree. I will try the invisible mouse and alt-shortcut options.

Edit - using alt-shortcuts works well.

Same issue with 6.1 iso over virtual media and ip kvm connecting to brand new HPE proliant DL380 G10 systems. Unfortunately, alt shortcuts aren't visible through the kvm for some reason. Tab is also not working properly.

Went back and used the iso 6.0-1 - no problem, easy installation when being able to use the mouse.

After encountering a challenge where i could not see the cursor or use the TAB key to accept the EULA licences agreement, what i had to do is press ALT + FN to see which characters are heightened, then after use the same combination plus the highlighted characters. It worked for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!