Kernel Panic after installing new kernel

amirseyedian

Nov 29, 2022
I have a very specific and strange problem and ita kinda urgent to solve it in a timely manner. Yesterday I encountered a kernel panic on my proxmox server
looking at server management logs apparently there was a power outage and ups was out of service for maintenance
booting to the default kernel:
cannot open "scripts/zfs" no such file or directory
kernel panic "not syncing attempted to kill init"
I was able to boot from recovery mode in grub to a previous kernel then after checking system journal I deleted the problem a malfunctioning virtual network card causing VMs to not start I removed the ovsitch, did an apt update and fix broken packages and install the new available kernel. After reboot I still get the kernel panic, and because I updated grub the previous kernel which was working is no longer available. Reinstalling system is out of the question so I need help to repair the kernel.

this is what I've tried
So far I imported the zfs pool to the live os I can see and mount some of the guest vm disks but I proxmox "/" (root directory) is not mounted.
I did "zpool import rpool" then 2 directories appeared rpool/DATA and rpool/ROOT/pve-1 but they are both empty.
with lsblk I can see most of the guest VMs partitions but not proxmox's.
also after importing the zfs pool I did "mdadm --assemble --scan" two additional partitions appeared and I dont know what they are ( the reason I assembled raid arrays after importing zfs is because before importing the rpool mdadm wont recognize any raid arrays)

its worth mentioning that I have selinux on permissive mode.

A clean install is my last option so before is there anything I can try? if there is nothing to do, moving forward I need some guidance on exporting my data to a clean install

system configuration:
software RAID 5
filesystem ZFS
storage : rpool zfs / rpool.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!