Issues after crash/restoring vm's and ct from backup (not visible in server-view, but they are running)

sjoerd

Jun 18, 2022
Hi guys,

I noticed the disk (ssd) pve was running on started to fail (every day some extra reallocated blocks) so I ordered a new ssd. I Also make weekly full backups of the 2 vm's and the container it is hosting to a remote server. All good right ? - The new disk arrived last evening. Since the ssd isn't that large (120G) I decided to image the entire disk and restore it to the new ssd - zero effort, minimum downtime.

But during imaging the ssd it crashed. Trying to boot, in an attempt to save the pve configuration (which i did not do) the ssd completely failed and was not even recognized by the server. So no image, no zero effort and a lot of downtime.... had to use my phone to connect to the internet to get pve ise and balena etcher to create a proxmox installer. All good so far..

After the installation I configured the nics to be bridge and restored my opnsense backup - from 2 days ago - lucky me. So I got my router back (ye proxmox is running on a route appliance having 4 nics) - family happing.

Next is to restore the pi-hole container.. Also a backup from 2 days ago. I selected the backup and proxmox starts restoring it. I checked "Start after:" I expected the see the container up "pve" but nothing - right, maybe refresh the browers - NOPE - weird. The task output does not report any errors so I opened a new tab on my brower and typed the address of the pi-hole container.. Ye, it's running - WEIRD.. Oh well figure that out later

Next is to restore my HASSIO zigbee2mqtt vm - restoring that also ended with no issues but the vm does again not show up under "pve" - and it is running since I browse to it, but I cannot do anything else since it does not show up... Lets figure that out later.

Then I wanted to add the disk my snapshot backups are on pve and quess what - does not show up.. .bloody hell - what is going on here. Lets mount the partition manually: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/pve/backup_local. No problem there either - the old snapshots are even there..

I checked the syslog but I cannot find anything that would suggest any issues..

At this point I'm absolutely clueless what's going on or where to start "debugging" the installation.

Under

If I need to check/send logfiles I'm happy to do so

Regards
Sjoerd

Oke,

It's getting bit more weird - esp because I do not know why.

As my 2 vm's and one container are running (although I could - yes could - only see my opnsense vm) I decided to schedule the backups again. Every day of the week, a snapshot to the local disk that was already in (1TB 2,5" platter) and every week a full backup to my remote server.

As I selected Datacenter, for creating the backup-plan, I started with the remote (because that was visible in the dropdown), but when I clicked it the backup_local was also visible (where it is not under "pve") - Also - Not only the opnsense vm was visible for selecting - also the other vm (hassio) and the container (pihole) - Oke ???. After creating the plan for the weekly, I continued with the daily to the local disk...

And when I finished doing that guess what..... backup_local and the missing vm and container suddenly appeared under "pve"

I guess my problem is "solved" but I'm not satisfied. I do not like when things are not visible when other sections say "ye dude, it's fine - I'm running" and when you start doing some configuration the system says "oh hey wait - you are missing something, let me show you what". I even tried to add "backup_local" twice because it did not show up and there was not confirmation whatsoever - ye, the second time I added it I got a warning "hey dude - I already got backup_local, but I'm not going to show it to you"

Can please someone tell me what the h** is going on...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!