Issue with Proxmox after system reconfiguration.

DubstepDude

Jul 25, 2023
Hello everyone,
Today, I made some changes to my system. Previously, I had two 250GB SSDs directly connected to the motherboard as boot drives and configured them into a RAID1 with Btrfs.
I also had two 1TB HDDs connected to the motherboard, serving as a ZFS RAID1 for non-essential data (not for boot/root). Since I no longer needed these HDDs, I removed them.
Instead, I moved my hardware RAID1, previously located on my RAID controller, entirely onto my boot drives. In Proxmox, I deleted the previous configuration, leaving only "local" and "local-btrfs" (which are the same drives) displayed.
Currently, I have only the two 250GB boot SSDs and two empty 500GB SSDs connected.
In the BIOS, I can only see one of my two boot drives, and I can only boot from that one. However, I encountered an error, as shown in the screenshot, and ended up in "(initramfs)" mode.
I also attempted to reattach the RAID controller to the motherboard, but it did not improve the situation.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
System Information:Fujitsu RX300 S82x Xeon E5-2650v2384GB DDR3 ECC buffered4x SSDs (2x250GB, 2x500GB)

Attachments

• crash.png
    crash.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 2
Looks like BTRFS cannot find the drives in the new location automatically. Maybe put them both back (because BTRFS won't boot/mount a mirror when one half is missing unless you configure it explicitly to do so), and configure BTRFS to find the drives in the new location. I don't know the details for BTRFS but it's not Proxmox specific and there are probably guides for this on the internet.

Looks like BTRFS cannot find the drives in the new location automatically. Maybe put them both back (because BTRFS won't boot/mount a mirror when one half is missing unless you configure it explicitly to do so), and configure BTRFS to find the drives in the new location. I don't know the details for BTRFS but it's not Proxmox specific and there are probably guides for this on the internet.
I connected both drives, the 2nd one isnt being listed so i think its dead/corrupted, still i dont know how to get btrfs to boot with only 1 drive :/

Maybe this thread can help with that?
Thanks,

/dev/sda3 was my only healty drive/partition.

after doing "mount -o degraded /dev/sda3 /root -t btrfs" and pressing CONT+D after the command and again 10 seconds later i was booted into my Proxmox 8 installation :D, now how do i add another drive as a Raid1?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!