issue with dell server >16GB RAM

astrakid

Renowned Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi,
i have an issue with a dell r320 server. it works fine with proxmox, but as soon as i have more than 16gb of ram installed the system powers off during linux booting. doing a system check all memory checks are passed successfully.
this happens during booting proxmox installation-iso as well as with proxmox already installed.

edit: i can see linux console coming up, and after about 3s it powers off. if using 16gb of ram (2x 8GB instead of 3x 8GB) it boots normally.

regards,
andre

Last edited:
Check your memory specifications and also if the distribution of memory you are using is supported.
V2 xeons have dual channel memory afaik and it could be the case the 3 dimms config is not supported (async population of channels). Do you have a fourth dimm available and check IG it behaves the same with 4x8GB?
Also check your BIOS settings and if in doubt reset to factory defaults.

it is a xeon e5 2430v2 and i'd expect that it fails before booting linux.
bios settings have been set to default as well several times.

however, the board has 6 slots with 3 channels (1cpu system). the rest should be possible:

The R320 supports a flexible memory configuration according to these basic rules: • Speed: If DIMMs of different speeds are mixed, all channels across all processors operate at the slowest DIMM’s common frequency. • DIMM type: Only one type of DIMM can be used in a system. UDIMMs and RDIMMs cannot be mixed.

tried with 4x 8GB and 6x 8GB as well, behaves all the same. it is all the same dimm type.

any way to debug it on linux-level (e.g. with further boot-options in grub)?

regards, and thanks for your answer!
andre

Have you tried booting into recovery mode already? Any difference there?

Will have to check, but during installation I tried failsafe installation with the same result.

Thats odd. You could try to load/install a recent debian or ubuntu and See if that behaves the same. If so it is not specific to proxmox per se.

Thats odd. You could try to load/install a recent debian or ubuntu and See if that behaves the same. If so it is not specific to proxmox per se.

it seems to be a linux issue - ubuntu has the same issue, univention (ucs) as well.

why are you certain it is a "linux" problem and not faulty memory? run memtest overnight and you'll have your answer.

well, i let a memtest run for some hours and that was fine. and with the "faulty memory" the linux runs fine, as long as the maximum isn't more than 16gb...?!

Typically if a system is stable with a certain amount of memory but fails with more, it means you have a bad module. If its passing memtest then obviously there is another issue. There is no inherent limitation for proxmox running on 11g Dells- I still have one or two in the lab and they work fine (with 128GB ram)

edit: rereading the thread you have a 12g dell. those definately dont have any such issues :)

Ok. Not really a move forward, but on the other hand you now can do research different. Ubuntu, PVE and Univention are all Debian based distros. So maybe the WWW reveals something for the R630 with Debian / Ubuntu...

will check the web further on. thanks a lot, i will come back if i have any news.

Are you using BIOS or Uefi to boot?
Have you tried both?
Have found a reference that syslinux has a bug on uefi with some r320 servers.
Maybe that helps

Are you using BIOS or Uefi to boot?
Have you tried both?
Have found a reference that syslinux has a bug on uefi with some r320 servers.
Maybe that helps
interesting, didn't find something like that. will check running bios only.

btw: using the "faulty ram" is working without any issue, as long as there are only 16GB in total in use.

hi,
using "bios" instead of uefi didn't change anything. proxmox installation iso fails during reboot in the same manner as described above. maybe a socket is defect? but than i should get errors during mem check, right?

I'd expect so. What else could be. The gear is a little aged. Typically that's not a problem at all unless some of the condensators get weak. Have you noticed anything when adding all banks? Have you also tried a winos perhaps?
You can get trial isos relatively easy these days.
If problem persists then it poibts more into the Hardware direction. If not, its likely some odd bug...

yes, good hint. i have the latest win10 iso downloaded some days ago. so i will check that.

Which I thinks concludes there is something on the hardware side. Sorry mate :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!