Isolated Proxmox Cluster with virtualised pfsense HA

waltk

May 27, 2024
Hi folks,

I’m new to Proxmox (previously XCP-ng, Xen). I’ve taken inspiration from some great threads here (thank you) and would like to get some feedback/advice from anyone experienced with Proxmox and Hetzner.

Goals:
  • pfsense HA – with everything behind it, so no exposed Proxmox hosts.
  • A Public /27 subnet assigned to pfsense WAN. With MGMT, LAN, and DMZ on the other side, plus OpenVPN for remote access.
  • 3 node Proxmox cluster – HA is not essential. Internally, I’ll be running 2x HAProxy VMs (keepalived) on separate Hosts that load-balance services.
  • Avoid reassigning MACs with Hetzner (manually or API) for the Public Subnet in case of failover and avoid abuse notifications from Hetzner.
  • Keep it simple.

See diagram below. Hope it’s clear – in short:
  • All hosts are connected via 10G managed switch, so VLAN separation, SDN management within Proxmox, etc.
  • 2x hosts running virtualised pfsense in HA. Third host has a cold spare which can be powered up and import configs if needed.
  • Main uplink NIC of each host is PCI passed through to the pfsense VM.
  • Everything is in the same rack/dc. SPOF I know, but latency across DCs is not ideal for some of our services, and it’s possible to have a similar setup in another DC with a fibre interconnect (surprisingly inexpensive).

Questions:
  • According to Hetzner, IPs from Public VLAN Subnets assigned to a vSwitch can be used by any Host or VMs connected to the vSwitch. What’s your expereince with the switch over time for IPs on Hetzner’s side if say, root-server-1 dies and the backup pfsense on root-server-2 becomes the master?

• How to configure the WAN side of pfsense? Usually, I use 3 IPs from the Public Subnet for a CARP WAN setup but with Hetzner, everything must go the Main IP/MAC of the Host which I’m passing through to pfsense. What are the alternatives given I want to avoid Proxmox having a Public interface? I considered using separate dedicated servers for the pfsenses (not virtualised), so networking is completely independent of Proxmox, but thought I’d start with this.

• What would you do differently? It would be nice to avoid the 1TB outbound bandwidth limit of vSwitches but I couldn’t figure out how to do this without having to reassign the Public Subnet in case of failover.

Thanks, and appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• Hetzner-Proxmox-virtualised-pfsense.png
    Hetzner-Proxmox-virtualised-pfsense.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!