ISO storage folder structure

ecce

Feb 17, 2020
Hi all,

We currently have a ESXi setup, a few machines with a central storage that we use for lab and testing. We are looking into moving to Proxmox and I installed proxmox on one of the servers to try it out.

We have a large number if ISO files from different vendors on a NAS. These are in a folder structure so you easily find the ISO file you need and there is an update process that rely on this folder structure so it's not easily changed. The ISO image storage is shared with servers via NFS. I run into a bit of trouble trying to create the ISO image storage, in that proxmox relies not only on a template/iso folder structure, but also require WRITE ACCESS to create at least the iso folder by itself. The problems we have are:

- The template/iso structure is not suitable, it creates a massive overhead in copying/symlinking files
- We cannot allow write access to NFS storage for security reasons. The export is read-only
- sym-linking the iso folder to the "root" ISO storage provides no solution since proxmox does not seem to read folder structure

I tried a workaround using SMB but I run into the same issue with the folder structure there.

Is there a way to get folder-aware ISO image repository on proxmox?

Cheers!

ecce

Reactions: UdoB
Hi,
Hi all,

We currently have a ESXi setup, a few machines with a central storage that we use for lab and testing. We are looking into moving to Proxmox and I installed proxmox on one of the servers to try it out.

We have a large number if ISO files from different vendors on a NAS. These are in a folder structure so you easily find the ISO file you need and there is an update process that rely on this folder structure so it's not easily changed. The ISO image storage is shared with servers via NFS. I run into a bit of trouble trying to create the ISO image storage, in that proxmox relies not only on a template/iso folder structure, but also require WRITE ACCESS to create at least the iso folder by itself. The problems we have are:

- The template/iso structure is not suitable, it creates a massive overhead in copying/symlinking files
You might want to re-open this bug. There was already a POC, but it didn't make it at the time.

- We cannot allow write access to NFS storage for security reasons. The export is read-only
There already is a mkdir 0 option you can specify in the storage configuration. Does that help for this part of the problem?

- sym-linking the iso folder to the "root" ISO storage provides no solution since proxmox does not seem to read folder structure

I tried a workaround using SMB but I run into the same issue with the folder structure there.

Is there a way to get folder-aware ISO image repository on proxmox?

Cheers!

ecce

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!