iSCSI not Active on cluster node

wdatkinson

Mar 16, 2021
Following instructions found here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

Did a fresh install and after creating the cluster on an existing node, I went thought the join process via the web GUI. After completing it, I appear to have a cluster. So I decided to play with a machine migration.

After picking a VM to test with and kicking off the migration, I was immediately drawn to the message that a local copy would take some time, but I let it run and started to investigate. With iSCSI both servers should have access to the disk images and a migration should be quick. The migration failed after a short time, I suspect we ran out of space due to only having local storage available.

I poked around for a while and eventually discovered that the iSCSI connection on the node I added shows, "Active: No." Attached is a screen shot. I have not been able to figure out how to get the storage to activate. Since storage is at the datacenter level, I've been hesitant to get too crazy with the node's specific configuration.

Attachments

• DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20210615084908.png
    DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20210615084908.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 26
Resolved. Tracked down to a VLAN/port mix up between storage and migration networks.

I tracked it down by pinging each node's iSCSI IP from each node and then trying to ping the SAN. On my new node, I could not ping the SAN, so I followed that rabbit.

Migration is still not working as expected, but that is another topic.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Thanks for coming back to describe the solution - this will help others who also run into this/a similar issue
(And hope you either opened a new thread for the migration problems - or, even better, also found a solution :)

Welcome. I always try to do that. If I had trouble, perhaps someone else is or will experience the same thing.

I haven't opened a new thread yet, but likely will as i'm beating my head against the wall.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!