Is it possible that proxmox is taking my WAN address before my pfsense VM can get it?

Bree810282

Sep 6, 2017
I can’t test this right now since everyone came home and they’re all using the internet but I just wanted to get an idea.

I have a r720 running proxmox. Proxmox is running a pfsense VM. I have two bridges. Wan and lan. Modem is plugged into port 1. Wan bridge is set to port 1. Well I have a problem.

Any time my r720 turns off, after it turns back on pfsense won’t lease a WAN IP address. I have to turn my r720 off and my modem. Then turn the r720 back on and wait for it to fully boot up, then I can turn my modem on and go to pfsense > interfaces and release renew on my WAN interface.

Is it possible that proxmox is taking the wan lease from the modem since it’s the first thing to boot up? Are there any historical logs I can look at right now to see if that’s true?

I’m gonna test it out whenever I’m alone again but no one would be happy at me taking down the server right now.

Something else I noticed:

My ISP is dhcp not static unless I pay extra. So I have dhcp.

Well, my isp leased me an IP address. 68.xxx.xxx.xx

I noticed that the Gateway address is 68.xxx.xxx.1

when pfsense boots up, it sets my WAN ipv4 address as that gateway address. Presumably because proxmox already got the wan IP? Or is there any other reason pfsense would decide to take the gateway as its ipv4? Or maybe it’s a cache thing because even when the modem is turned off it still assigns that gateway address as the ipv4 address.

I set my VMs to boot after pfsense also. So it isn’t any other VMs taking the wan address. I can’t reject leases from the gateway or I’ll never get an IP address. I did however reject leases from the modems private IP address 192.168.100.1 because that just kept giving me a private IP address as my wan ipv4

Code:
proxmox-ve: 5.4-2 (running kernel: 4.15.18-15-pve)

pve-manager: 5.4-13 (running version: 5.4-13/aee6f0ec)

pve-kernel-4.15: 5.4-3

pve-kernel-4.15.18-15-pve: 4.15.18-40

pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve: 4.15.18-36

pve-kernel-4.15.18-8-pve: 4.15.18-28

pve-kernel-4.15.18-1-pve: 4.15.18-19

pve-kernel-4.15.17-1-pve: 4.15.17-9

pve-kernel-4.10.17-2-pve: 4.10.17-20

corosync: 2.4.4-pve1

criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90

glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1

ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2

libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-2

libpve-access-control: 5.1-12

libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-5

libpve-common-perl: 5.0-54

libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-20

libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-14

libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-44

libqb0: 1.0.3-1~bpo9

lvm2: 2.02.168-pve6

lxc-pve: 3.1.0-6

lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve1

novnc-pve: 1.0.0-3

proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-28

pve-cluster: 5.0-38

pve-container: 2.0-40

pve-docs: 5.4-2

pve-edk2-firmware: 1.20190312-1

pve-firewall: 3.0-22

pve-firmware: 2.0-7

pve-ha-manager: 2.0-9

pve-i18n: 1.1-4

pve-libspice-server1: 0.14.1-2

pve-qemu-kvm: 3.0.1-4

pve-xtermjs: 3.12.0-1

qemu-server: 5.0-54

smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1

spiceterm: 3.0-5

vncterm: 1.5-3

zfsutils-linux: 0.7.13-pve1~bpo2

Last edited:
i have a similar setup at home, the only difference is that my wan network is on its own vlan

by default pve does not do any dhcp, neither client nor server so it should not take/request a lease

when pfsense boots up, it sets my WAN ipv4 address as that gateway address. Presumably because proxmox already got the wan IP? Or is there any other reason pfsense would decide to take the gateway as its ipv4? Or maybe it’s a cache thing because even when the modem is turned off it still assigns that gateway address as the ipv4 address.

how is your pfsense configured? the only reasons why this could be is either:
* pfsense is configured statically to that ip
* it gets it as a dhcp lease

i have a similar setup at home, the only difference is that my wan network is on its own vlan

by default pve does not do any dhcp, neither client nor server so it should not take/request a lease

how is your pfsense configured? the only reasons why this could be is either:
* pfsense is configured statically to that ip
* it gets it as a dhcp lease

Pfsense is set to dhcp on wan

Last edited:
I have the same issue. So far the only way I have gotten around it is by waiting for everything to start up, then downing the physical nic for the wan connection and then starting it up again, then renew dhcp wan lease on pfsense. It seems to be a timing issue of sorts, but I haven't figured out a good way around it. I have a dedicate phys for proxmox management and so I'd be happy if I could start the wan nic with the VM itself, but haven't figured out a way to do so.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!