IPv6 incoming and outgoing

Myfrienderic

Dec 16, 2021
Hi,

I am a little bit of a beginner when it comes to the IPv6 protocol and the way Proxmox/linux handles it. For context, we run a mail server on a guest inside a Proxmox box (bare-metal at a web farm). Everything IPv4 is configured and works great. Recently however, a client's MS Exchange box started sending out emails from an IPv6 address and our guest mail server is not receiving them. Nothing shows up in the mail logs.

So we started debugging:

On the Proxmox Host:

Code:
ping6 2001:4860:4860::8888
routes appropriately and returns packets.

On the Mail Server Guest:

Code:
ping6 2001:4860:4860::8888
times out.

So we started with the obvious and opened the firewall set disable_ipv6 to 0 ( net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 in /etc/sysctl.conf). Restarted the guest box.

Still nothing.

My question is then:

Does the guest need an IPv6 address configured to receive/send IPv6 content? I made the assumption that the network would translate IPv6 request to IPv4, but I might be way off here.

My hosting supplier has supplied IPv6 addresses so I could start configuring those, but i was hopping for an easy routing solution so as to not break the current setup.

What do you guys/girls think?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!