IP not reachable on upgrade from pve 3 to pve 5

hisaltesse

Mar 4, 2009
I upgraded a server from proxmox v3 to v5 via reformatting. Then I added in the network interface file the same IP config from v3. I am able to access proxmox interface however the additional IP ranges that were on the host interface are no longer working for the containers.

I have read the manual but it is confusing. I am not sure if IP ranges now need to be set on the container level or still on the host level as it used to be the case so that you can assign individual single/multiple IPs to Containers.

I would appreciate some help or pointer to solutions.

Thank you.

I upgraded a server from proxmox v3 to v5 via reformatting. Then I added in the network interface file the same IP config from v3. I am able to access proxmox interface however the additional IP ranges that were on the host interface are no longer working for the containers.

What exactly means "additional IP ranges"? If you post an example from your /etc/network/interfaces it might by clearer.

What exactly means "additional IP ranges"? If you post an example from your /etc/network/interfaces it might by clearer.

The proxmox node is in a datacenter. The datacenter had given me a few public IP ranges/blocks that I can use with my virtual servers.

Here is what the interface looked like before the upgrade. Can you please show me what it should look like in proxmox 5?

For example, in addition to a static IP for the host node, I was given this IP range (I change the first 3 parts of the IP)
Range: 123.45.67.159 - 123.45.67.174
netmask 255.255.255.192
Gateway: 123.45.67.129

The way I had added it on Proxmox 3 was by having the following config on the host. Then all I had to do was to add any IP(s) from the range to the VZ container when creating my VZ container and it worked.

Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address  <mail IP>
    netmask  255.255.255.192
    gateway  <main gatewa>

auto eth0:0
       iface eth0:0 inet static
       address 123.45.67.174
       netmask 255.255.255.192

Now I do not know how this should be done on Proxmox 5. And nothing is working except accessing the host web admin.
Also whether the IP ranges should still be defined on the host or on the new linux containers directly
etc. And the manual does not do a good job at clarifying this transaction.

The way I had added it on Proxmox 3 was by having the following config on the host. Then all I had to do was to add any IP(s) from the range to the VZ container when creating my VZ container and it worked.

LXC containers work as independent machines and have their own NICs with their own MAC addresses. First you have to get MAC addresses from your provider, then assign those addresses to the virtual NICs of the containers. The virtual NICs have to bridged together with your hos NIC (usually vmbr0).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!