Internet Access over all VM

webiscore

Jun 30, 2019
I might be a Proxmox Newbie which I'm learning more about every day. I've purchased a server with couple of IP addresses then installed Proxmox 5 and started using it.

When I create a new VM by default it has no internet so when I finish the setup I enter the VM and set a dedicated IP manually per VM to run however I was searching how to give internet access by default to all VMs when created shared from the main server's internet?

I'm creating a MacOS VM after I found a good blog post on doing that.
https://www.nicksherlock.com/2018/06/installing-macos-mojave-on-proxmox/

The thing is when I reached the installer step to install MacOS it's not allowing giving an error message "Mac Installer Requires Internet Connection". So I tried to set the IPs in the BOIS manager this is didn't solve the problem, also I tried to use "ifconfig and ipconfig" via terminal also this didn't resolve the issue. I'm stuck now can't find a way how to give internet access to the VM either shared from the main server until setup is completed and then I'll set a dedicated IP manually inside the O/S itself or configuring it using dedicated IP from boot.

Your help is highly appreciated, thank you!

hi,

what kind of network setup do you have? can you post /etc/network/interfaces from your PVE?

also the configuration of the VM: qm config VMID

Hi kindly find below

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp5s0
iface enp5s0 inet manual

iface enp6s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  x.x.x.x
        netmask  255.255.255.248
        gateway  x.x.x.x
        dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
        bridge-ports enp5s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

And the VM info are:

Code:
args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="XXXXXXXXX" -smbios type=2 -cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2
bios: ovmf
boot: cdn
bootdisk: ide2
cores: 4
cpu: Penryn
cpuunits: 2048
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-2,size=128K
ide0: local:iso/Catalina-installer.iso,cache=unsafe,size=2093068K
ide2: local:iso/clover-r4920.iso,cache=unsafe
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: Catalina
net0: vmxnet3=EE:CF:7D:0E:ED:D6,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: other
sata0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,cache=unsafe,size=400G,ssd=1
smbios1: uuid=f8f192b0-adc6-4158-9bff-4a8828fbabef
sockets: 2
vga: vmware
vmgenid: d45f05e2-f620-4d75-97c3-6d17ebac637c

hi,

does it work if you comment auto enp5s0 on the interfaces file?

you could also send the output of ip a and ip link show

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!