Intel iGPU passthrough problems

tazaraz

Oct 15, 2022
I am running into a problem where I am trying to pass the Intel IGD to any virtual machine (Windows, macOS, Ubuntu) , but vfio runs into FLR problems where the IGPU appears unresponsive. As of right now, I've tried to make it work on Proxmox VE 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2, but to no avail.
I am running Proxmox on:
- z590 chipset
- i7 10700 (comet lake)

The GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT is as follows:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off video=vesa:off disable_vga=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1 modprobe.blacklist=radeon,nouveau,nvidia,nvidiafb,nvidia-gpu,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,i915
"

I got the vfio.conf set up with the correct address of the IGPU.
lspci -knn indicates that vfio-pci has correctly taken over the device.

However, I get an error (0000:00:02.0 is the IGPU):
Code:
vmbr0: port 1(enp0s31f6) entered blocking state
vmbr0: port 1(enp0s31f6) entered forwarding state
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): vmbr0: link becomes ready
device tap102i0 entered promiscuous mode
fwbr102i0: port 1(fwln102i0) entered blocking state
fwbr102i0: port 1(fwln102i0) entered disabled state
device fwln102i0 entered promiscuous mode
fwbr102i0: port 1(fwln102i0) entered blocking state
fwbr102i0: port 1(fwln102i0) entered forwarding state
vmbr0: port 2(fwpr102p0) entered blocking state
vmbr0: port 2(fwpr102p0) entered disabled state
device fwpr102p0 entered promiscuous mode
vmbr0: port 2(fwpr102p0) entered blocking state
vmbr0: port 2(fwpr102p0) entered forwarding state
fwbr102i0: port 2(tap102i0) entered blocking state
fwbr102i0: port 2(tap102i0) entered disabled state
fwbr102i0: port 2(tap102i0) entered blocking state
fwbr102i0: port 2(tap102i0) entered forwarding state
vfio-pci 0000:00:02.0: not ready 1023ms after FLR; waiting
vfio-pci 0000:00:02.0: not ready 2047ms after FLR; waiting
vfio-pci 0000:00:02.0: not ready 4095ms after FLR; waiting

I found a Reddit issue, also linked to a post on this forum, which conversed on the same topic, but I found it unhelpful as I am not proficient in compiling kernels and whatnot. How should I fix this error?

Attachments

• dmesg.log
    56.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You try to chase 3-4 different stuff that are causing lot of problem, just windows alone is painfull and many different hrdw have issues with onboard gpu as well. Start with something that work and all previous guide that do give mostly all solution to have it work properly. Disconnect the modem, install prox 7.1-2 , set the 8-9 usual setting, power on vm.. install win. Then boot a xubuntu vm pass the igpu = it work, then check win after that.

You try to chase 3-4 different stuff that are causing lot of problem, just windows alone is painfull and many different hrdw have issues with onboard gpu as well. Start with something that work and all previous guide that do give mostly all solution to have it work properly. Disconnect the modem, install prox 7.1-2 , set the 8-9 usual setting, power on vm.. install win. Then boot a xubuntu vm pass the igpu = it work, then check win after that.
I understand that the FLR issue might be caused by some other problem, but I cannot find the root cause. The tutorial at 3os.org does not work, nor does the info at the Proxmox wiki.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!