Installing Proxmox Backup Server on FreeNAS 11.3 as bhyve VM

Vedat Kamer

Mar 28, 2016
Dear Proxmox Team,

Thank you so much for PBS. It's a game changer product for PVE.

I'm trying to install Proxmox Backup Server on FreeNAS 11.3U3-2 as bhyve VM since it's recommended to separate installation of PBS from PVE.
Installing PBS on FreeNAS can save from using a separate physical server for backups.

Installation fails on this screen:

Ekran Resmi 2020-07-13 06.39.28.png Ekran Resmi 2020-07-13 06.47.18.png

Do you have any idea how to continue or debug it?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Hi,

it looks like your environment does not support grafik or is not set up correctly.
I would recommend you to install Debian first and then use PBS repository to install it on Debian.

Reactions: Tmanok
Did you try this solution with instaling Debian first then PBS? I'm plan to di the same in our enviroment. Much thanks for PBS

Did you try this solution with instaling Debian first then PBS? I'm plan to di the same in our enviroment. Much thanks for PBS
Another option is to install as a VM on Proxmox with a VM disk on zfs and use pve-zsync to copy this disk to freenas. Then use it as a disk in the wizard. Surprisingly, it works without further modifications (you just have to set the IP address or MAC address in the settings again)

Another option is to install as a VM on Proxmox with a VM disk on zfs and use pve-zsync to copy this disk to freenas. Then use it as a disk in the wizard. Surprisingly, it works without further modifications (you just have to set the IP address or MAC address in the settings again)
This seemed easy so I gave it a shot.

Since my zfs pool was already setup as storage on the Proxmox side I created the PBS VM using a 'raw' image and UEFI bios and put the disk on the zfs pool. Once I had PBS installed I went to the TrueNAS server and I used `dd` to copy the .raw image into a zvol. I created a VM with the zvol as the disk and it booted perfectly... except the NIC doesn't have an IP:
firefox_2021-06-13_14-11-45.png

How do I "fix" the NIC (which presumably means deleting the old one and making use of the one attached by TrueNAS?)

Reactions: reeseovine
This did the trick:
  • ip a to get the new interface name (in my case, enp0s4 (see above)
  • nano /etc/network/interfaces, change old device name to new one (in two places). My resulting file is:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp0s4
iface enp0s4 inet static
        address 192.168.0.19/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1

Yesterday I've installed PBS 3.1-1 from the provided ISO on TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 VM and everything went smooth like butter - only make sure to NOT opt-in for the graphical install. Just wanted to give heads up to anyone looking for more recent info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!