Installer: Unable to get device for partition 1

Feb 8, 2015
Switzerland
Hi

As my small devhost I've choosen an Intel NUC 6I5SYH, because of its ability to have 32GB RAM. It seems ideal for my purpose.

I have two disks in the box: One SME951 NVME SSD card and the other is a Samsung SSD HD. I want to install proxmox on the nvme card and use the SSD HD as my data storage.

The bare metal installer 4.1 (20.January 2016) works fine and I can choose the nvme card from the disk chooser. When the installer will start the installation, following error pops up: Unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/nvme0n1. It is not possible to install on that nvme card, but it is possible on the ssd hd, but that is not the way it want.

Anyone any helpful ideas?

Thanks, Oliver

we will get a Intel NUC NUC6i5SYH with a SSD 512GB M.2 Type2280 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe PCIe 3x4 in our testlab (next week), so we can dig deeper here.

in the meantime, try:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie
Hi Tom

Ok, nearly same hardware as I use. First I will check if the nvme card could be formatted through a live cd.

Then I will try the Debian install first, what are the differences between the baremetal installer and the debian way? Aren' there too many packages left from the standard debian install?

Oliver

Hi Tom

I've tested it with Jessie 8.3. The nvme disk can be formatted and debian is installed on the disk. The only thing is to remark that the grub installer can not be installed on the nvme. I did not spend any time to find a solution (quick search said that is possible - this link). I had the idea that if the nvme is formatted then perhaps the bare metal installer would install. But failed...

Now I wait for your digging with you nuc.

Best regards,

Oliver

Hi Tm

Any news from your side concerning the nvme installation, did you expect the same with your new NUC?

BR Oliver

Yes, its just not implemented - but the issue is clear and the upcoming 4.2 ISO installer will allow installation on NVMe.
(expected in Q2/2016).

Are there any disadvantages to first installing Debian and then Proxmox compared to the bare-metal Proxmox VE installer?

I am stuck with an NVMe disk as well (Samsung PM951 on MSI H110I Pro) and waiting for version 4.2 of the installer might take a while, correct?

4.2 ISO works on our NUK now.

Hi!
I found this thread looking for a solution to install PM on NVMe drive in a supermicro server. PM 4.2 works like a charm (4.1 cannot be installed on an NVMe drive aparently...)
However, I'm running into the same error on an intel NUC 6i5SYH, when trying to install PM to the SD card. The installer recognizes the SD card, I can select it, adapt partition preferences, but when the installer starts to create partitions, I get

Code:
unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/mmcblk0

The goal: I want to run a proxmox server on this NUC, and be able to switch to another OS just by swapping the SD card. Must say however, I had no luck either with trying to install windows on an SD card in that NUC. I thought it was driver related, so I tried to load the drivers for the SD card in the windows installer, but I could nog seem to find the right driver.

Not sure how the SD card reader is connected - might be via a USB connection (for the record; it is of course soldered to the main board, but it might use the USB interface?)

While selecting boot options, I can see the SD card, so even the BIOS recognizes it...

Any help greatly appreciated!

in general it is not a very good idea to install proxmox to an sd card (because of the many writes from the log etc. , which can wear out your sd card)
you can of course install a debian and pve on top of it
see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie
Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know proxmox would write so much on the device where the OS is installed...?
Anyway, one of these http://www.lexar.com/pro-1000x-sd?category=5286 should have wear leveling.

But maybe I shoudl refrain from the plan of having PM installed on a SD card... but for technologies sake, I'll try to install proxmox on top of debian. But that's going to be in a few days I believe... Thanks again for your reply!

I am trying to install 6.1 on atomic pi and am getting this message "proxmox unable to get device for partition 1"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!