Installed the backup client in Windows Subsystem for Linux v2

Apr 28, 2022
I thought I'd experiment with using the Windows Subsystem for Linux which allows access to windows files at /mnt/c. Steps and output follow, but I am currently stuck with an error: "catalog upload error - channel closed" "Error: stat failed on "DumpStack.log.tmp": EACCES: Permission denied". Appreciate any suggestions and details follow:

I used these commands to install the proxmox-backup-client in a ubuntu shell in WLS running under Windows 10pro 64.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt-get install proxmox-backup-client
cat /etc/debian_version
sudo wget https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/proxmox-release-bullseye.gpg -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/proxmox-release-bullsey.get
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs-client bullseye main'
sudo apt-get install proxmox-backup-client

Then running proxmox-backup-client with the following command gave an error:

dxxxxx@DESKTOP-I4xxxxx:/$ sudo proxmox-backup-client backup DTP_C.pxar:/mnt/c --repository 10.1.1.111:8007:HPZFS01
Password for "root@pam": *************
Starting backup: host/DESKTOP-I4xxxxx/2022-05-24T13:37:49Z
Client name: DESKTOP-I4xxxxx
Starting backup protocol: Tue May 24 09:38:03 2022
No previous manifest available.
Upload directory '/mnt/c' to '10.1.1.111:8007:HPZFS01' as DTP_C.pxar.didx
catalog upload error - channel closed
Error: stat failed on "DumpStack.log.tmp": EACCES: Permission denied

Any ideas on next steps in troubleshooting this? Not even sure if it will work, but seems like it might and I'd appreciate any suggestions....

well there seems to be a file that you include in the backup that is not accessible:

Code:
Error: stat failed on "DumpStack.log.tmp": EACCES: Permission denied

but none of what you are trying to do is tested in any fashion or expected to work, so..

Yes; I thought about it a bit more and then tried limiting the backing up to just the mnt/c/Users/xxxx/Pictures folder in windows and it worked perfectly. Could also be some file system permission settings in WSL, but am just glad to see that it does work.

here is the command I used:
xxxx@xxxxx:: $ proxmox-backup-client backup DTP_Pictures.pxar:/mnt/c/Users/dxxxx/Pictures --repository 10.1.1.111:8007:HPZFS01

Really nice to see that the proxmox-backup client can work just fine in Windows 10 pro :0). I'll probably test Windows 11 next. Should be able to automate it, and if anyone comes up with some additions, improvements or suggestions, please do share!

Screenshot attached....

Attachments

• Capture_22_05_25.JPG
    Capture_22_05_25.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!