Installation on a Mac Pro

kcallis

Apr 5, 2018
I got my hands on a Mac Pro 2012 with two 6 core Xeons. The Mac has a 500GB SSD and three 6TB drives. When I have installed Proxmox previous, I also would install docker and zfs as well. How does setup my data drives to allow both LVM-Thin and docker storage to co-exist or should I just create under zfs for my KVM images, lxc and docker space? Which would really work nicely because at that point I create a RAID-Z setup since I don't believe that there is a hardware RAID card on the Mac Pro.

Hi!

Did you think about installing Docker into a virtual machine? You can create both LVM(-thin) and ZFS in the GUI of Proxmox VE easily. See the Storage wiki article for a detailed comparison of the both technologies.

Hi!

Did you think about installing Docker into a virtual machine? You can create both LVM(-thin) and ZFS in the GUI of Proxmox VE easily. See the Storage wiki article for a detailed comparison of the both technologies.

That used to the way that I would originally deal with docker. I would spin Ubuntu, and then install docker-ce and create containers. Then I read about using docker natively, and that has been my go to way of dealing with docker. Especially when I wanted to create a container (it does not matter whether is lxc or docker), but didn't want to fall down the rabbit hole in dealing with my VLANs and pointing to container to the correct VLAN.

I'd reconsider that. It is not recommended to run docker directly on your Proxmox VE host (see question 12 in the FAQ of the Proxmox VE reference documentation).

You could for example use ZFS RAIDZ on your 6TB drives and create your Ubuntu VM on this storage. You can assign the virtual disk whatever size you need in the Proxmox VE host and choose a file system of your choice during the installation of Ubuntu.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!