Install WINServer 2019 on old HP Server without virtualization

tista

Feb 15, 2020
Hello,

Beginner question here so sorry in advance!
I am currently trying to create a VM running WINServer 2019 on proxmox on an old HP DL360 G7 server (Intel XEON E5450).
Unfortunately the processor doesn't support virtualization - so there obviously isn't any way to activate it in the BIOS.

When I create the VM using the standard settings it gives me the following error in noVNC without even starting at all:
"vncproxy:100:root@xyz: Failed to run vncproxy".

I am still a beginner and only have basic knowledge of linux and vms. So is there any way to get Windows running? I couldn't find a tutorial matching my problem - but I'd be very happy to learn!

Thanks in advance

I think the Proxmox installer itself detects if hardware is virt-capable or not (if not the installation process won't allow to continue). I think I saw some errors while installing PM on a regular old desktop PC with some s.775 cpu on it.
E5450 itself should support VT-x easily. Might be BIOS issue though...

So should this work or not on older hardware like this?

I have several g5 HPs and some Dell Rx1x series and 2950s that I'd like to use proxmox on and then everything else as VMs.

I use virtualization on HP 360/380 G5, G6 and G7 without any problems. You often have to enable it in the bios.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!