Install on rpm-based OS.

Yuri-01

Apr 30, 2018
Hi.

Please tell me, i can install Proxmox VE on rpm-based OC (for ex. - CentOS)?
It`s possible?

No, Debian only.

Debian only forever.
Dear Tom,
I'm not very professional in Linux, so please apologize me for below question.

You said that Proxmox is based on Debian, Also I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian. So why you release & develop pve-kernel on the base of Ubuntu kernels?

Dear Tom,
I'm not very professional in Linux, so please apologize me for below question.

You said that Proxmox is based on Debian, Also I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian. So why you release & develop pve-kernel on the base of Ubuntu kernels?

Ubuntu provides quite modern kernels, good tested and widely used and certified by a lot of hardware vendors. A recent kernel is essential to get best performance and best hardware support and best security fixes.

Our upcoming 5.2 release will use a 4.15 kernel (based on Ubuntu 18.04). (Debian stable is running a 4.9 kernel)

Thanks,
So why you not switch to Ubuntu completely?

Debian is the best suited base distribution for Proxmox VE. This is also true for many other Debian based distribution like Ubuntu.

Thanks,
So why you not switch to Ubuntu completely?
An important reason to use Debian is that Debian offers a much more smooth experience when doing major version upgrades.
I almost never hit issues upgrading Debian from 5 to 6, 6 to 7, all the way up to 10 beta.

Ubuntu, however, brings much more problems when you dist-upgrade.

On the kernel side, Ubuntu upgrades and releases their stable kernel frequently, compared to Debian stable releases.

I almost never hit issues upgrading Debian from 5 to 6, 6 to 7, all the way up to 10 beta.

Totally agree with you!

Ubuntu, however, brings much more problems when you dist-upgrade.

Oh yeah! Just this week while updating to 18.04 ... Ubuntu is like Windows ... if the update breaks, reinstall. Not because it is necessary, but because it is the fastest way to get a working system again.

Oh yeah! Just this week while updating to 18.04 ... Ubuntu is like Windows ... if the update breaks, reinstall. Not because it is necessary, but because it is the fastest way to get a working system again.
Yeah still remember last week we were chatting about how suck the April update is, when all in a sudden we noticed that half of us were mentioning Windows 18.04 and the other half Ubuntu 18.04. XD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!