initial iSCSI multipath questions

davidwk

Feb 8, 2023
I'm new to Proxmox and I'm setting up a demo cluster to figure everything out before building a production system. I'm trying to get iSCSI multipath working following the instructions here. Here's the contents of my storage.cfg file
Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content vztmpl,iso,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        content rootdir,images

iscsi: arctic_5_206
        portal 192.168.254.206
        target iqn.2000-05.com.3pardata:***
        content none

iscsi: arctic_5_207
        portal 192.168.254.207
        content none

iscsi: arctic_5_208
        portal 192.168.254.208
        content none

iscsi: arctic_5_209
        portal 192.168.254.209
        content none

All four devices connect and multipath seems to be working
Code:
# multipath -ll
mpatha (***) dm-9 3PARdata,VV
size=4.0T features='1 queue_if_no_path' hwhandler='1 alua' wp=rw
`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=50 status=active
  |- 11:0:0:0 sdc 8:32 active ready running
  |- 12:0:0:0 sdd 8:48 active ready running
  |- 13:0:0:0 sde 8:64 active ready running
  `- 14:0:0:0 sdf 8:80 active ready running

My issue is that in the web interface it's showing up as 4 separate devices
Capture.PNG
When I create a VM, which one should I put it on? Because each storage device in that list is tied to a specific path wouldn't putting it on any one of them mean that if that path fails the VM would lose its storage? I'm coming from a VMWare environment where multipathed targets show up as a single storage device regardless of the path count.

You are not done with your setup yet. Once you have multipath, the next step, before creating and pointing a VM, is to create a storage object that uses that multipath device. You have few choices:
a) LVM (non-thin)
b) External Clustered File System
c) Pass through the entire LUN to VM

The first two are "shared" type storage. You can place multiple VM disks (images) on one large LUN. The last one will require a LUN per VM disk.
Each option comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

What you are seeing in GUI is what you have defined in /etc/pve/storage.cfg. When you add an appropriate higher level storage type, as listed above, there will be another choice for you.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

My plan was to use LVM on top of the iSCIS storage but when I create the LVM storage what do I select for the "Base storage"? All four iSCSI devices show up in the list and I'm only allowed to select one of them.

Thanks for the help!

Capture.PNG

Ok, that makes sense. The mpath device shows up under the node but when I try to create a new volume group it says there are no unused disks. Capture.PNG

Oh! Nevermind! It created the VG automatically. Sorry, I think I just answered my question now. I can create the LVM storage for the cluster with the existing VG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!