I/O Errors - Possible Corruption

Craig Lowe

Feb 7, 2016
I recently got ProxMox up and running after months of deliberation as to which HyperVisor I wanted to use. Last night I almost finished transfering my applications to containers and the system was almost fully configured and running. At this point I was happy with the progress made and decided to call it a night for server configuration. An hour later I attempted to watch a film on one of my HTPC's and the NFS wasn't responding, so I went up to look at the server and the main VM had stopped due to I/O error, I attempted several times to restart the VM but it would just stop before it was booted with an I/O error. At this point I decided to restart the server, since then I have been unable to get almost anything up and running. The server repeatedly displays the following errors:

Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block XXXX, lost async page write
EXT4-fs (loop0): error loading journal
loop: Write error at byte offset XXXXXX, length 4096
blk_update_request: I/O error, dev loop0, sector XXXXX

Thousands of these errors are displayed, I cannot load the management web console or SSH into the system, none of the LXC's or VM's appear to be running either. I have tried to umount the /dev/pve-mapper/data drive and FSCK it but I have been unable get it to unmount up to now, I tried to remove it from /etc/fstab and fsck after a reboot but it said there was nothing wrong with the drive.

I really am at a dead end with this, I am not new to linux but I obviously am very new to ProxMox and my online searching has lead to me to a complete stale mate in trying to rectify this problem, so any help at all is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Craig.

UPDATE:

I have just run ifdown, ifup on the network interfaces and I can now access the web management and SSH into the server. I have run pveversion -v, as support staff always seem to ask for it first, so...

root@pve:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.1-26 (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.1-1 (running version: 4.1-1/2f9650d4)
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-26
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 0.17.2-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-29
qemu-server: 4.0-41
pve-firmware: 1.1-7
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-41
libpve-access-control: 4.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-38
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.4-17
pve-container: 1.0-32
pve-firewall: 2.0-14
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-14
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-5
lxcfs: 0.13-pve1
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve6~jessie

Last edited:
I recently got ProxMox up and running after months of deliberation as to which HyperVisor I wanted to use. Last night I almost finished transfering my applications to containers and the system was almost fully configured and running. At this point I was happy with the progress made and decided to call it a night for server configuration. An hour later I attempted to watch a film on one of my HTPC's and the NFS wasn't responding, so I went up to look at the server and the main VM had stopped due to I/O error, I attempted several times to restart the VM but it would just stop before it was booted with an I/O error. At this point I decided to restart the server, since then I have been unable to get almost anything up and running. The server repeatedly displays the following errors:

Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block XXXX, lost async page write
EXT4-fs (loop0): error loading journal
loop: Write error at byte offset XXXXXX, length 4096
blk_update_request: I/O error, dev loop0, sector XXXXX

Thousands of these errors are displayed, I cannot load the management web console or SSH into the system, none of the LXC's or VM's appear to be running either. I have tried to umount the /dev/pve-mapper/data drive and FSCK it but I have been unable get it to unmount up to now, I tried to remove it from /etc/fstab and fsck after a reboot but it said there was nothing wrong with the drive.

I really am at a dead end with this, I am not new to linux but I obviously am very new to ProxMox and my online searching has lead to me to a complete stale mate in trying to rectify this problem, so any help at all is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Craig.

UPDATE:

I have just run ifdown, ifup on the network interfaces and I can now access the web management and SSH into the server. I have run pveversion -v, as support staff always seem to ask for it first, so...

root@pve:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.1-26 (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.1-1 (running version: 4.1-1/2f9650d4)
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-26
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 0.17.2-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-29
qemu-server: 4.0-41
pve-firmware: 1.1-7
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-41
libpve-access-control: 4.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-38
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.4-17
pve-container: 1.0-32
pve-firewall: 2.0-14
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-14
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-5
lxcfs: 0.13-pve1
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve6~jessie
Hi,
sound strange!

What kind is the underlaying storage-system? Raid (controller/level)? single disk (type, smart values)?

Special mount-option? (how looks the output of "mount"?)

Udo

Sorry for the extremely late reply.

As it turns out, yes I had run out of disk space on the host >.<. Complete noob mistake! I moved the host to smaller drives and didn't shrink the VM's.

Thanks!

Happens to the best of us :) Well, it's happend to me anyway - and on a production system with the whole whole world screaming at me. Disk space was literally the last thing I thought of.

You'd think that seeing as this is the most basic issue to befall a virtual machine host, somebody would have worked out a way of showing the admin a message that said maybe, "Out of disk space."

Reactions: BunkerHosted
Yeah I wondered why there was no specific error message but then again if your running an advanced server platform you should probably know what you're doing >.> haha. It's so easy to overlook the basics, but lesson learnt!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!