I can't connect to my nodes

azix

Dec 20, 2022
Hello,
I have a cluster, with 5 nodes.
I use a wireguard VPN to go on my proxmox cluster because I connect remotely (I don't know if this is the problem).
But I can't connect to the shells of my nodes in noVNC and xterm.js.

Here is the error message:

failed waiting for client: timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/pve3 --perm Sys.Console -- /usr/bin/ssh -e none -t 10.10.10.14 -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 1

Last edited:
can the node you are connected to run the ssh command from the error message?

yep the ssh requet works ,the problem is that I have access to only one shell, the shell of my node 3 (with SPICE, not with noVNC and xterm.js)

Last edited:
did you restrict access in the firewall? maybe you are missing some ports?

i'm new with proxmox, it seems to me that I don't have a firewall on my cluster i think, you can tell me which port I should open and how to do it properly?

Code:
pve-firewall status
pve-firewall compile

will tell you ;) but I really won't be able to help you unless you provide more details about your setup..

1671540196432.png

yeah, I do have the firewall disabled but that shouldn't solve my shell problem should it?

what do you need to help me better ? any information I can give you?

I don't know how you access your nodes, but it times out because nothing connects to the termproxy, so likely something is blocking the connection between your browser and the termproxy running on PVE..

Ok thank you for your help

so to put it in context I have 5 pc MACs running with proxmox on it, on a different network from where I am.
then I created a cluster with the 5 nodes.

I use a VPN with wireguard to access the network from where my cluster is, it works since with firefox I have access to the network and to the nodes, but I can't connect to the shells of my nodes ..

so i don't understand, if you have any idea, or want me to show you something i can

1671541512317.png

maybe the browser's dev console gives you more details about the outgoing connection and any possible issues..

yeah, so something is blocking the websocket connection.. (spice doesn't use websockets and a different proxy on the backend, which might be the reason it's not affected)

ok thanks for the help ;) I think it must come from the VPN because when I'm on the network on site, it works...
Do you have a solution? otherwise it doesn't matter I'll look

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!