Hundreds of usernames, IP addresses, and ports in the Syslog

daniel1e6

Oct 31, 2019
We are currently setting up our servers. I recently checked the Syslog and see several hundred usernames, IP addresses and ports. Is this normal?

Last edited:
If you connect your host to the internet without a properly configured firewall, its normal that other try to connect.

Your log just shows unsuccessful ssh connections attempts. A first step would be disallow SSH for foreign IPs.

Once setup is complete, we'll add the Proxmox firewall. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to properly delete CEPH and am dealing with ghost monitors that come back after reinstalling the OS. Originally, I tried deleting CEPH because I couldn't add OSDs during the first installation.

Last edited:
Such attacks in the internet are normal, this has nothing to do with Proxmox. Just configure your firewall on the Proxmox VE GUI properly.

Removing and managing Ceph needs some knowledge, but please continue with these question in your other thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!