hpe 1060 stroage with 2 hpe server setup

arya4u

Apr 23, 2024
Hello friends,
I am very new to proxmox so i need some help to proceed, thanks in advance.
i have 1 hpe 1060 storage and 2 hpe dl380 server
the storage is directly connected to the server1 through fiber channel with two paths and same way server2 is connected to the same stroage
what i wish to achieve is a Windows file server cluster and certain domain services with fail over options.
I have installed proxmox ve on both the servers and created an lvm on my storage, also have mapped the lvm to the servers

Now i can see two disk on my servers mapped through my storage due to multiple path and i don't know how to proceed further so can anyone help me or give some reference to achieve my goal.

Regards,

what i wish to achieve is a Windows file server cluster and certain domain services with fail over options.
You have an uphill battle to achieve your goal with your current infrastructure.

There are certain things that the Windows Failover cluster wants, namely:
- simultaneous access from each cluster member to the storage
- persistent reservations
- ability to pass storage compliance test (PRs are part of it)

LVM on FC does not provide any of the above when passed through via QEMU emulation. Especially, when the VMs, which are members of the Windows cluster, are split across PVE cluster members.

You may be able to get close by passing through the LUNs directly. I have not done this with FC and can't be sure it works.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

You have an uphill battle to achieve your goal with your current infrastructure.

There are certain things that the Windows Failover cluster wants, namely:
- simultaneous access from each cluster member to the storage
- persistent reservations
- ability to pass storage compliance test (PRs are part of it)

LVM on FC does not provide any of the above when passed through via QEMU emulation. Especially, when the VMs, which are members of the Windows cluster, are split across PVE cluster members.

You may be able to get close by passing through the LUNs directly. I have not done this with FC and can't be sure it works.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thanks for your reply
Yes it looks like not possible with proxmox and I have to go for hyper v(which I don't want). But I won't give up easily will give few more days of try

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!